Who owns the tracks?

I just moved Garland TX and the railroad tracks pass near my house. When I first got here I was excited because I love watching trains and I get a great show nearly every day.

The the first train I saw was Southern Pacific so I just assumed the tracks belonged to the SP. A few days later I saw a BNSF on those same tracks and I noted that the bridge that crosses the road said Santa Fe. If you look at the tracks on Mapquest, it says they belong to the Santa Fe too.

Since then I've see Kansas City Southern, Norfolk Southern, Texas Northeastern, and DGNO (Dallas Garland). I've seen two Norfolk Southern locomotives leading an BNSF in the same train and I've seen a Texas Northeastern locomotive leading a Southern Pacific locomotive in a train. I've even gotten pictures of a Southern Pacific locomotive pulling Amtrack cars. (I'm assuming they are old ones being reconditioned or something) Every time I hear a horn blow and I go outside and there is no telling what is coming down the tracks.

My question is: If all these railroads use the same tracks, who pays to maintain them and how does each railroad keep track of their trains if they are on someone else's tracks?

Reply to
wade-kiki

Well, if mapquest said Santa Fe, then they probably belong to BNSF. The reason you see all the other railroad companies engines is due to trackage rights, power(engine) swapping/leasing,etc. how they keep track of engines, I don't know.

Reply to
NEVYEN

Why ask why? Just enjoy the variety.

Reply to
Rick Jones

I have a plastic figure of an adult male that measures 36 actual mm from the bottom of his feet to his eyes. What scale would he represent?

Martin Rosenfeld

Reply to
Martin Rosenfeld

O-scale? That would be eyes at 5'8" in US O-scale (1/48). Or 5'2" in British O-scale (7mm/ft).

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Could be the D&RGW does! Look for the MOW trucks and other things poking about and see what they are lettered for. Some lines are shared operations - the famous Tehachapi line in Calif. is one of those where the SP and ATSF run.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Not likely. The D&RGW bought the SP, with the resulting railroad named SP. Then the UP bought the SP.

In its day, the D&RGW never got close to Texas (the original poster said he is from Garland, Texas.

Paul Welsh

Reply to
Paul Welsh

MR> I have a plastic figure of an adult male that measures 36 actual mm from the MR> bottom of his feet to his eyes. What scale would he represent?

OK, some calculations:

sauron.deepsoft.com% bc bc 1.06 Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. For details type `warranty'. scale=5

36/25.4 ;; mm to inches 1.41732 (6*12)/1.41732 ;; 6 feet (typical male height) * 12"/foot over scale size 50.80010 ;; This is 51:1, assuming a 6' male 1.41732*48 ;; assume actually 1:48 (0 scale) 68.03136 ;; the figure is 68 *scale* inches from toes to eyes 68.03136/12 5.66928 ;; or about 5' 8".

Since 0 is 1:48, I'd say this is probably an 0 scale male that is a scale 5' 8" from toes to eyes -- this might work out to close to 6 scale feet from toes to the top of his head.

\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu

|| snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com
/\FidoNet: 1:321/153

Reply to
Robert Heller

Thanks to both of you for helping me figure out a scale.

Martin Rosenfeld

Reply to
Martin Rosenfeld

Paul Welsh wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bellatlantic.net:

Actually he said that he "Moved Garland, TX" Where he moved it to he did not say. But the bigger question is how he managed to move it in the first place.

Reply to
Gordon Reeder

Regular people use a feather, kinky people use the whole chicken.

Reply to
Steve Caple

... bean counters and lawyers.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

I guess that if I had said that the Rutland does, the joke would have been more obvious.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Though in it's day, the Great Northern DID come to Northern Texas; Wichita Falls, specifically! (OK, caveat, I have a photo in one of my C&S books showing this. I suppose it was some leasing deal or some sort of thing).

Chris

Paul Welsh wrote:

Reply to
Chris Munson