[HO] Overland Models discontinues parts business

Ahh, ping pong balls with whipped cream.

Reply to
Steve Caple

"Greg Procter" wrote

You don't know any serious collectors. (And that's "collectors" as opposed to model railroaders.)

A lot of these guys never run their locos at all, or, if they do, it's just to test it out once on a test-track when they first acquire it and then plunk it back in the box.

An extra locomotive, or even ten, does not comprise a "collection" so long as it -or they- are being used on a regular basis.

Reply to
P. Roehling

"Steve Caple" wrote

Heh. A better analogy than some might think, as both have about the same chance of being elected President.

}:-O

-Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

"Steve Caple" wrote

I take it they got the balls from Ping Pong after he fell from the Umpire State Building?

Reply to
P. Roehling

You'll never own brass because other people who buy brass are idiots? If you held true to that, you wouldn't buy much of anything (cars, clothing, food) as there are an awful lot of idiots out there that do moronic things with just about anything you can imagine. ;-) Semi-more seriously, brass is just a medium, just like plastic, resin, or cast pot metal. The important part of brass is accuracy (or at least the attempt) to the prototype. If you want to model a steam-era railroad, and you don't model the NYC, PRR, UP, or SP (and if you don't scratchbuild), then you have to buy brass. If you want to model a decent (non-Bachmann/Life-Like) trolley layout, a non-D&RGW narrow gauge layout, or a non-Amtrak/PRR electrified railroad like NH, MILW, etc., you have to buy brass. I model the New Haven, and I have several pieces of brass (6 steam engines, a few diesels, a couple railbus-types, some motors, a few passenger cars) and run them consistantly. I also know a couple knuckleheads who would buy two of every brass engine because they'd keep one in the box with "factory air" in it and display the other (never run it, tho'). But just because they are crazy, doesn't mean I can't enjoy my NH brass.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

No, because I'm not going to spend many hundreds or thousands of dollars when I can get a perfectly good plastic or metal engine. Sure, I'd love brass, the detail's incredible... but screw that noise, I have other things to spend money on, like gas, or my monthly commuter railpass....

mark

Reply to
mark

"Pac Man" wrote

Thank you for a sane post.

Q: Are you *sure* you belong here?

-Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

Um, you're welcome?

Heh. Actually, back in the "Olden Days" (tm) of r.m.r, the sane people outnumbered the not-so-sane. One by one, most of these sane people left for greener pastures...mainly those that have moderators and where one can post pictures, etc. I'm still here because this is the last bastion of almost-free speech on the 'net for model railroading talk. There's no moderators, there's no corporations trying to stifle discussion of competitors, there's no megalomaniac that owns the place and bans people without cause. Of course, one has to deal with the consequences of that freedom (trolls and morons), but that's freedom for you. ;-)

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

No one is saying that one should skimp on basics like gas or their job to spend money on one's hobby. If your objection to brass is because you have to spend money on gas or a railpass, then you shouldn't be spending money on plastic or cast metal engines, either. Real life comes first. Hobby money is what's left over after everything else is paid for. If you have the money to spend, say $800, you can buy 4 plastic engines with sound or one brass diesel. If you desire quantity over quality, that's fine...no one will object to that. But one does have to buy relatively generic plastic engines vs. getting a specific engine that the railroad you're modeling had. For example, if you model the NH's mainline post 1956, you need FL9's as they were the main passenger power for the NH from then on. If you don't buy brass FL9's, you'll have to make do with either E-units or F-units...both of which are one axle off. If you can live with that, okay, but some of us can't.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

"Pac Man" wrote

I know what you mean.

I once helped form a motorcycle safety discussion board that started out unmoderated but involuntarily acquired a "sponser" after about a year when the server decided he needed more money than his ads could generate. Shortly after that, the sponser began banning posters who said anything negative about his products, and then barred anyone who dared to complain about his gestapo tactics.

For some reason everyone stopped posting there shortly thereafter.

Wink-wink, nudge-nudge.

-Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

So, I must be a collector then as I have over a dozen locos, most new, that have never turned a wheel whilst under my ownership. Could be because I haven't yet got around to building a layout to run them on. I must get around to doing that in the near future.

Krypsis

Reply to
Krypsis

On 5/28/2008 4:58 AM Krypsis spake thus:

Well, you apparently have at least the desire to build a layout and run them. Most true collectors would think this beneath them and their precious jewels.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Being a collector doesn't stop you being a modeller, or vice versa ;-) Being an "armchair modeller" and a "collector" are the same thing.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter