[HO] Overland Models discontinues parts business

This message is from the Overland Models e-mail list:
# # #
For many years, we have maintained an inventory of HO-scale parts.
Generally-speaking, these parts were used by modelers to make their plastic models more prototypical.
Recently, we have noticed that the need for these parts has substantially declined. As a result, we have decided to stop carrying them, effective immediately.
If you are looking for a particular part, you may find it at your favorite Overland dealer until it is sold out.
We have sold all our remaining inventory to: American O-Scale Telephone: [262] 547-1919 E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
So, if your favorite Overland dealer does not have what you need because they are already sold out, you may be able to find it at American O-Scale.
Brian Marsh President Overland Models, Inc.
# # #
____ Mark Mathu The Green Bay Route: http://www.greenbayroute.com /

Well, at least that explains why he hasn't answered my emails inquiring about parts.
-Pete
Pete Roehling wrote in message

I don't think that would explain his lack of a reply to you.

Well, there's probably some basic impoliteness towards -and lack of concern for- his customers going on there too; but no longer supplying parts makes for a good excuse to put off doing something that you weren't very inclined to do in the first place...
I ran into the same problem when I had to return a factory defective loco to Overland: it generally took three emails to get an answer to most any question.
-Pete
On 5/18/2008 10:59 PM P. Roehling spake thus:

So--and pardon my ignorance, not ever being loaded enough to even think about buying those high-priced Overland models--isn't the arrangement that Overland works through dealers? Could that be the cause of your problems? Or are you forced to deal with them directly?
conversation with the average voter.

They understandably want you to buy your locos through a dealer, but parts are a different story.
It's always been difficult to get Overland parts through a dealer. Since Overland doesn't sell many locos compared to say, Athearn, it doesn't pay many dealers to stock spares that they might not ever sell; and in my experience the dealers rarely -if ever- know what Overland has available anyway.
When you add that to the fact that I'm over 50 freeway miles from the nearest dealer who'd even *try* to special order Overland parts for me, dealing direct with Overland is -excuse me- *was*, the only practical way to get what you needed before the advent of the next ice age.
Frankly, I'm thinking of selling my Overland locos off on eBay before they begin breaking down. There are a lot of collectors out there who don't run their stuff, but I don't enjoy owning paperweights. (I should have probably seen this coming, since I bought one of their new SP AC-12s several years ago and it spun the drive gear on the axle of the rear engine the third time I ever ran it.)
I returned it to Overland and then waited *15 months* while it got sent back to Korea *twice* for full disassembly and repairs. Getting any information out Overland during that period was closely akin to pulling teeth. It seemed that they simply didn't want to be bothered.
-Pete
On 5/19/2008 12:02 PM P. Roehling spake thus:

[...]
... all of which seems to confirm my suspicion that most Overland models never see a single volt of electricity through their little motors ...
conversation with the average voter.

Could be, although their diesels seem to be pretty reliable.
I've never understood the collecting mentality anyway. Stamps take up so much less space...
-Pete
Pete Roehling wrote in message

I thought you were thinking of selling your Overland locos now, before they began breaking down? You wrote that you had a SP AC-12 which spun a drive gear on the third time you ran it....
____ Mark Mathu Whitefish Bay, Wis.

I am. Although they don't seem ready to fall apart right now, and I've not had many problems with their diesels in the past, *everything* breaks down sooner or later; and I'd rather not be the one left holding the bag when that eventually happens and repair parts are no longer available.

AC-12 = steam engine. The diesels don't seem to have the same problems, as I mentioned above.
-Pete
"P. Roehling" wrote:

When you've got two more locos than your layout requires for operation you're a collector. (the first excess loco is of course a "spare") When you buy a loco "because I like it", you're a collector.
Regards, Greg.P.

You don't know any serious collectors. (And that's "collectors" as opposed to model railroaders.)
A lot of these guys never run their locos at all, or, if they do, it's just to test it out once on a test-track when they first acquire it and then plunk it back in the box.
An extra locomotive, or even ten, does not comprise a "collection" so long as it -or they- are being used on a regular basis.
<snip>

You'll never own brass because other people who buy brass are idiots? If you held true to that, you wouldn't buy much of anything (cars, clothing, food) as there are an awful lot of idiots out there that do moronic things with just about anything you can imagine. ;-) Semi-more seriously, brass is just a medium, just like plastic, resin, or cast pot metal. The important part of brass is accuracy (or at least the attempt) to the prototype. If you want to model a steam-era railroad, and you don't model the NYC, PRR, UP, or SP (and if you don't scratchbuild), then you have to buy brass. If you want to model a decent (non-Bachmann/Life-Like) trolley layout, a non-D&RGW narrow gauge layout, or a non-Amtrak/PRR electrified railroad like NH, MILW, etc., you have to buy brass. I model the New Haven, and I have several pieces of brass (6 steam engines, a few diesels, a couple railbus-types, some motors, a few passenger cars) and run them consistantly. I also know a couple knuckleheads who would buy two of every brass engine because they'd keep one in the box with "factory air" in it and display the other (never run it, tho'). But just because they are crazy, doesn't mean I can't enjoy my NH brass.
Pac Man wrote:

<snip> No, because I'm not going to spend many hundreds or thousands of dollars when I can get a perfectly good plastic or metal engine. Sure, I'd love brass, the detail's incredible... but screw that noise, I have other things to spend money on, like gas, or my monthly commuter railpass....
mark

No one is saying that one should skimp on basics like gas or their job to spend money on one's hobby. If your objection to brass is because you have to spend money on gas or a railpass, then you shouldn't be spending money on plastic or cast metal engines, either. Real life comes first. Hobby money is what's left over after everything else is paid for. If you have the money to spend, say $800, you can buy 4 plastic engines with sound or one brass diesel. If you desire quantity over quality, that's fine...no one will object to that. But one does have to buy relatively generic plastic engines vs. getting a specific engine that the railroad you're modeling had. For example, if you model the NH's mainline post 1956, you need FL9's as they were the main passenger power for the NH from then on. If you don't buy brass FL9's, you'll have to make do with either E-units or F-units...both of which are one axle off. If you can live with that, okay, but some of us can't.

(snip)
Thank you for a sane post.
Q: Are you *sure* you belong here?
-Pete

Um, you're welcome?

Heh. Actually, back in the "Olden Days" (tm) of r.m.r, the sane people outnumbered the not-so-sane. One by one, most of these sane people left for greener pastures...mainly those that have moderators and where one can post pictures, etc. I'm still here because this is the last bastion of almost-free speech on the 'net for model railroading talk. There's no moderators, there's no corporations trying to stifle discussion of competitors, there's no megalomaniac that owns the place and bans people without cause. Of course, one has to deal with the consequences of that freedom (trolls and morons), but that's freedom for you. ;-)

I know what you mean.
I once helped form a motorcycle safety discussion board that started out unmoderated but involuntarily acquired a "sponser" after about a year when the server decided he needed more money than his ads could generate. Shortly after that, the sponser began banning posters who said anything negative about his products, and then barred anyone who dared to complain about his gestapo tactics.
For some reason everyone stopped posting there shortly thereafter.

Wink-wink, nudge-nudge.
-Pete
Greg Procter wrote:

So, I must be a collector then as I have over a dozen locos, most new, that have never turned a wheel whilst under my ownership. Could be because I haven't yet got around to building a layout to run them on. I must get around to doing that in the near future.
Krypsis
On 5/28/2008 4:58 AM Krypsis spake thus:

Well, you apparently have at least the desire to build a layout and run them. Most true collectors would think this beneath them and their precious jewels.
conversation with the average voter.