How to cut microscope slide covers?

I've always read that microscope slide covers make dynamite window glass for structures. So I ordered some (0.005" thick). They're about 1"x1" .

Now... how do you cut the darned things down to size? I want to scratchbuild the windows by gluing strip styrene on to the glass.

I tried scoring them with a glass cutter (wheel). The slide cover disintegrates long before you can score a line in it.

I tried breaking them off between two metal rulers held tightly together. I tried scoring them with the broken-off tip of an x-acto knife. I tried scoring them on masking tape. I tried holding them between two sets of wide, flat-jawed pliers (e.g. lineman's cutters).

Help!

-Gerry Leone

Gerry Leone

Jon Miller

Gerry, Neat idea! What about a glass cutter. Maybe from a hardware store. Or maybe there would be a suitable tool in the picture framing section at a craft store. Where did you order these and how much are they? Let me know what you come up with and how they work out. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

The best is a small diamond scriber. Put the glass on a firm flat surface (a larger piece of glass that is good and clean) and then scribe just heavy enough to pit the glass. This often will make the break at the end of the scribe so be ready for that. In addition, I've also done the clamp method but that means that one piece will probably not break right. The scriber needs to be a good one that will easily scribe the glass without a lot of pressure.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Get a diamond scriber from Micro Mark or Am Sci and Surplus; make sure it is diamond, the carbide scribers are no good for this thin glass. Bob E.

Reply to
REckerfiel

Thanks to all for the info. The diamond scriber is on-order from Micro-Mark!

-Gerry Leone

PS Let's see... the slip covers themselves were $4. It cost $5 to ship them. The scriber was $15, plus shipping. So far this has been an expensive proposition!

Reply to
Gerry Leone