How To Get Around eBay's New Paperless Payments Policy.

If you did that here in Australia, paypal enthusiasts would report you to ebay with the "report this item" link.

You should realise that not everybody is anti-paypal. It takes vastly less effort for buyers.

Reply to
a_a_a

On 4/12/2009 7:09 PM a_a_a spake thus:

Not everybody is anti-PayPal, but there's *enormous* and widespread dislike of it which can't be ignored. eBay's gonna have to deal with it sooner or later.

I'd guess that most buyers who prefer PayPal haven't thought it through very thoroughly, and a lot of them could be convinced that it's not such a Great Thing after all.

So there are actually stool pigeons there who'll turn you in? How nice.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Sellers dislike the cost, but why should buyers dislike it?

Then convince me for a start.

Not stool pigeons, just ordinary buyers who object to sellers defying rules.

I (and several others I know) would simply not buy from a seller who did that, on the grounds that if the seller can't be relied upon to comply with one rule, they can't be trusted to comply with any other due process either. Thus sellers who act like that are reducing their market base, and if they end up with a less competitive auction as a result, they may well lose more than the paypal charge would have been.

Reply to
a_a_a

Because it's screwing unwilling sellers. No man is an island, and you can piss me off by goring my neighbor's ox just as easily as if it were mine.

That's how you spell "stool pigeon". Not the "objecting" part, but certainly the "turning in" bit. Those are two different things.

"Due Process"? Not according to any definition I could find.

Look; when I worked a union job I couldn't be trusted to obey rules for unions that were made not by the unions themselves or by disinterested third parties, but by the very people who had a vested interest in seeing that unions remained -if not non-existent- then just as powerless as possible.

Likewise, I cannot be relied upon to obey speed laws that were made not to promote the public safety but to fill the coffers of greedy local governments. (Saw 158 MPH on a stretch of deserted two lane blacktop this morning.) The 158 MPH may not be typically Americasn, but the attitude is.

Similarly, when laws in the American deep south said that blacks were second class citizens, who were not allowed to vote and who could be lynched without fear of retribution, you could not rely upon me to respect *or* obey them. Not only that, but I actively worked until those laws were changed.

And I *certainly* can't be relied upon to obey an arbitrary set of rules that were designed exclusively by and for a multi-million-dollar corporation who intends to strip their customers of every red cent that they possibly can -while still remaining in business.

Maybe it's an American thing; but when we see what we consider to be an injustice -and there's a possible way to game the system- many of us take it an almost sacred duty to do exactly that.

Marching in lockstep to a tune we don't call is not our style.

Does not follow. Wanting to continue to give your customers a choice of ways to pay is not the same thing as refusing to use PayPal.

A seller who offers what the widest spectrum of buyers want -and many buyers dislike PayPal- will attract more customers than someone who doesn't.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

We were talking about people refusing to offer paypal. Not offering your customers paypal at all is forcing them into payment methods that are typically much more inconvenient and much less safe. So that makes the seller selfish in my view, and it is hypocritical then to accuse the buyer of selfishness.

Reply to
a_a_a

Well, since you carefully snipped everything *except* that without rebuttal, I guess we are *now*. And you're still wrong. Offering PayPal -or not- should be the seller's option, good business idea on their part or no.

Bullshit. Nobody reaches out through their computer and "forces" a buyer to do *anything*. (Look around: do you see my disembodied hands reaching for your throat? No? I rest my case.) In the real world, if the potential buyers don't like the options offered to them they simply don't buy.

And, if they're like me, they email the seller, politely tell them why they won't be bidding -in my case because I refuse to use PayPal- and point out that they *can* accept paper payments if they wish to do so.

The key words here are "in my view", and as you're the only one so far to mention selfishness, to use the word "hypocritical" to try to slant your straw man argument, or to approve of turning in people who do things you dissaprove of "in your view", "your view" is more than a bit suspect.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

We were then. I did not start that line of discussion.

Just as it should be ebay's option to prohibit it; sellers are not forced to use ebay, and if you don't like ebay's policies, go elsewhere.

Exactly what I said, which is why it is bad business as well as being contrary to rules.

Why should I make any effort to help a seller who is so determined not to help me or any other buyer who prefers paypal?

I expressed no view on turning in people (I merely factually stated that it commonly happens), and indeed I had no firm view one way or the other till I read your comments. However you have now led me to have a view which does indeed approve strongly of "turning in" offenders. Thank you for clarifying the matter for me.

Reply to
a_a_a

My, oh my, how low have the residents of Oz sunk from their honorable transportee past. Or is just a buncha pom bastards posing as aussies?

Reply to
Steve Caple

On 4/12/2009 11:17 PM a_a_a spake thus:

[Just to be clear, I was the one who brought up the idea of not accepting PayPal at all, not Twibil, whose original complaint was about eBay's *forcing* buyers to *only* use PayPal]

Judging from some of the other responses here, PayPal isn't even all that safe, which is why some were suggesting the circuitous method of paying the PayPal account with a credit card, enabling the buyer to get their money back in case of fraud or similar problems; something that apparently isn't always possible with the nice caring folks at PayPal.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Love it or leave it, eh? Maybe you're not a pom, just an expatriate Spiro Agnew lover.

I don't like internet anonymity - where else should I go?

Reply to
Steve Caple

You're an idiot. It is *illegal* for eBay to force people into using Paypal. It's called "restraint of trade" over here, and that's why eBay still allows paper payments at all. It's also why eBay cannot force sellers to use PayPal, much as they'd like to. They are legally

*required* to leave those loopholes open, and your idea that eBay should be free to make whatever rules they wish -the law notwithstanding- and that we should all act like sheep and obey their desires without question is frankly insane.

Matter of fact, the powers that be in OZ feel the same way that I do...and if you'd been paying attention you'd already know about it. eBay *tried* to institute a "PayPal only" rule in OZ and NZ and were promptly slapped down.

You seem to have a compulsion to obey the "rules", so we'll put you to the test: I have just promulgated a new rule that says you aren't allowed to post any more stupid opinions.

Are you going to obey it? Of course not.

Because despite the fact that it would be a grand idea -and would make you look better as well- I have no authority to tell you or anyone how to behave. Likewise, neither you nor eBay has any authority to make extra-legal rules and expect people to obey them.

So you think you're "helping" a seller by bidding on their auction? Interesting definition of "help". (Boy, no ego problem there!) But let me guess why you'd do something like that anyway: because you really want the item they're selling? (Duh)

It figures. Thank Gawd not all Aussies are self-satisfied rules- obeying little sheep like you.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

It's "Aussies" with a big A; and just as you can't blame America in general for Sarah Palin, so it's unfair to blame OZ as a whole for one little twit who has an overwhelming compulsion to obey "the rules".

*Any* rules. And apparently revels in turning in those who don't. (Likely the only power he has. I knew a Walter Mitty book-keeper like that once.)

In fact, the various Aussie transplants I've known over here have all displayed a well-developed sense of individuality and a fine distain for authority.

Why they're almost *American* that way...

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Which is government interference in matters that should not concern them.

It is their site, they should be able to set whatever rules they like.

Which was inappropriate government interference.

They should be able to set whatever rules they like. ebay should have every right to set the rules on their site.

Thank the non-existent gawd that not all Americans support government interference in matters that should be no concern of government.

Reply to
a_a_a

Yet YOU are the one that is promoting government interference in private trade. What a hypocrite you are.

Reply to
a_a_a

Gawd, what a load of Ayn Ranty bullcrap! Are you a 13 year old Ruper Murdoch wannabe living in his mothers basement? That's what you come on like. Get a little experience of the real world before your little mind sets up hard right.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Oh, so you are another one of the people like twybil who believes that government should interfere in private enterprise when the outcome of that interference is beneficial to you.

I'll bet that if you or twybil found the government interference was heading in a direction that you don't like, you would be screaming about the injustice of it.

Reply to
a_a_a

Ebay is a business (not any different than the store down the street) as such they are permitted to operate as they see fit for their needs. If that means that they only accept payments from PayPal then so be it. If they decided that they want to be paid in cash, then that is the method of payment that people using their business will have to use. It's quite simple really. People that believe that businesses have to do what they want them to are sadly mistaken, they are the ones that make the decisions regarding their operations.

Reply to
Brian Smith

EBay _OWNS_ PayPal - so that's restraint of trade. Just WTF don't you get about it?

You may now return to slobbering over your Meg Whitman poster.

Reply to
Steve Caple

No. They may only operate within the limits of the law.

And that isn't legal, at least in the USA.

Watched the financial meltdown recently? Are you aware that it's primary cause was a bunch of unregulated businesses doing what they thought was best for *them* in the short term, and devil take the hindmost?

That's *why* we have to have the government play watchdog.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

What they own is irrelevant. They have the right to decide to accept whatever form of payment and serve or refuse service to anyone.

What part do you not understand?

Reply to
Brian Smith