What Is An Unused McCoy Mayflower Reprodution Worth?

Hi,

There is an unused McCoy AF Mayflower repro for sale on eBay,

What is it worth?

I have no stake in selling it. She was nice enough to respond to my queries so I am giving her a plug as well as satisfying my curiosity.

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
abby

eBay itself pretty much sets the current market value of any given auction item.

Optimists abound -and there are occasionally good bargains to be found on eBay- but an item isn't generally worth any more than what the higest bidder will pay you for it.

Reply to
Twibil

No they don't. Like anything else offered for sale it's what the prospective buyer is willing to pay, period. Sincerely,

John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@itd.nrl.navy.mil Naval Research Laboratory

4555 Overlook Avenue, SW Washington, DC 20375-5337
Reply to
J. B. Wood

I think Twibil means the Ebay process, not the company itself. But even that isn't 100% as there are times when other events will interfere. For instance, I'd be willling to say that an auction ending on Christmas morning might not get as high a final price as one ending on a typical week night. People have other things going on Christmas morning.

I've been looking for a particular engine and have seen virtually the same one from the same manufacturer go for significantly different prices at different times for no apparent reason. In two cases, the prices differed by almost 50%. The whole thing seems to be a combination of time / place / luck. If you happen to be the only person looking for that particular item at that particular time... you are in luck.

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

Try reading for content instead of selectively snipping parts out in an effort to make yourself look smart, John.

Because you deleted it doesn't mean that I never wrote "an item isn't generally worth any more than what the higest bidder will pay you for it", and anyone who's following this thread *knows* it.

Sheesh!

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Sure. And if he wasn't clear on that concept, my second paragraph - which he deleted- made it perfectly clear.

That's called "dumb marketing". Sellers who choose to end their items on Christmas Day -or at 3:00 AM- should be aware that they're likely to get considerably fewer offers than the guy who chose to end his auction in the early-middle evening of a weekday.

In fact, those are the sorts of auctons that smart buyers *look* for, knowing that it might be possible to pick up a real bargain. I'll get up at 3:00 AM to save $200 *any* time!

Other good eBay advise is to pre-calculate what you're willing to spend on a given item and never bid beyond that self-imposed limit. (Another one most likely *will* be along in a bit.) Further, it's better bidding tactics to wait until the last few seconds before submitting your bid.

The idea is to prevent other potential buyers from still having time left to outbid you.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

On 12/11/2008 11:13 AM Twibil spake thus:

So maybe it's not as dumb as you said, since we now know there are at least n buyers willing to bid on such auctions, where n is some integer greater than zero (probably quite a bit greater).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Er, no. While there are certainly *some* buyers who are willing to get up early to get a good deal, it's also certain that there are a lot fewer of them than would be bidding on a given item were it's auction closing at a convenient hour.

This is demonstrated by the fact that items that close at 0-dark- thirty almost invariably sell for less than identical items that sold in -for instance- in the early evening, and often sell for a *lot* less.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Er, no. While there are certainly *some* buyers who are willing to get up early to get a good deal, it's also certain that there are a lot fewer of them than would be bidding on a given item were it's auction closing at a convenient hour.

This is demonstrated by the fact that items that close at 0-dark- thirty almost invariably sell for less than identical items that sold in -for instance- in the early evening, and often sell for a *lot* less.

~Pete

3am wherever you are is not 3am everywhere.
Reply to
LD

Duh. But if it's 3:00 AM *anywhere* in the US you're making it difficult for a large portion of your potential market to bid on your item.

The best time to close an auction is between 6:00 and 9:00 PM on a weeknight so that the maximum number of potential bidders can be at home and sitting in front of their computers when it happens. (This is why you see so many sellers setting their eBay auctions to end at those times.)

Other good times to avoid are Sunday mornings (church), Saturday afternoons (recreation, shopping, etcetera), and Monday evenings during football season.

Anything else obvious I can help you with?

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Duh. But if it's 3:00 AM *anywhere* in the US you're making it difficult for a large portion of your potential market to bid on your item.

The best time to close an auction is between 6:00 and 9:00 PM on a weeknight so that the maximum number of potential bidders can be at home and sitting in front of their computers when it happens. (This is why you see so many sellers setting their eBay auctions to end at those times.)

Other good times to avoid are Sunday mornings (church), Saturday afternoons (recreation, shopping, etcetera), and Monday evenings during football season.

Anything else obvious I can help you with?

~Pete

Nope. I can see you are a Know-It-All.

Reply to
LD

If you don't want smart-aleck replies, it's best not to post the smart- aleck comments that provoke them.

What's sauce for the goose...

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

That's why G*d invented the ability to 'snipe'!

Or, you can simply enter the highest amount you are willing to pay for the item and then go to bed. Wake up and see iffn you're a winner!

Reply to
The Seabat

Yep! :o)

Reply to
LD

You all also failed to consider that eBay is worldwide. No matter what time your auction ends locally, it is prime bidding time somewhere in the world. Personally I like to end my auctions on Saturday around midnight (when I mostly consider the US buyers).

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Nope. I pointed out to gerbil that 3am His time is not 3am for everyone. He proceeded to 'educate' me on the ins and outs of e-bay. Guess I was asleep while racking up 750+ feedbacks - 100% positive.

Reply to
LD

Sure, but the American version is patronised mostly by Americans -with some Brits, Europeans, New Zealanders,and Aussies thrown in- and relatively few Americans post auctions in the overseas and/or foreign language versions of eBay.

A good marketer shoots for the most exposure he can get in the higest- population-density markets that contain his most likely customers, and tries to make buying just as easy for them as he possibly can. =A0

Aha! But midnight *where*? }:-P

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Exactly who did you think wouldn't have already known that and taken it into account, idiot?

I mean, do you normally expect people to tell you "the big hand is on the 12 and the little hand is on the 3" when you ask for the time? Or do you perhaps expect them to say "it's 3 o'clock" on the assumption that you probably knew where the hands would be in that case?

Explaining the patently obvious in a patronizing manner -and then acting insulted when someone points it out- displays a rare combination of stupidity and arrogance that one rarely sees; even on Usenet.

And calling names like a 5-year-old when you'd never dare do the same thing in person is an even better way of shooting yourself in the foot.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Exactly who did you think wouldn't have already known that and taken it into account, idiot?

You.

Reply to
LD

Yup.

Which is why I addressed you as "idiot".

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil