Instead of homasote!!!

Can't get Homasote in Alabama..How about using 2x4 acoustical ceiling tile?

Mark

Reply to
Mark Picarro

It won't hold spikes and does badly if watered during ballasting. If you can work around that it might work OK.

Reply to
MrRathburne

Anything but Homosote! The ceiling tiles are basically Homosote so you can use them if so desired. The problems that I have is that all of that stuff is very sensitive to humidity and eventually degrades a lot over time. I don't know how sensitive you are to the quiet noise of a train running but I find that running the trains on solid spline roadbed is just loud enough to let me know that the train is running but not loud enough to interfere with the sound system in some of my locos. I'll also note that I reduce the sound level of the sound system as most are too loud for me. If you really want to have insulation, find some Upsom board which is more of a thick (1/4" thick) cardboard that can be cut with a knife or such and will retain its shape and size a lot better.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Mark - check out the URL - you should be able to get Homasote in Alabama:

Jim Bernier

Mark Picarro wrote:

Reply to
Jim Bernier

Why not get an old ping-pong table top. This comes in two sections 5'x 4.5' each, giving a nice 5' by 9' layout. The one I have is 1/2" thick and is made of a pressed wood fibre material(like fibre-board). Add 6 to 8 legs, paint the top and you are in business. I set mine on my dad's old work beach which makes wiring up things a bit of a pain as I have to go through the top and then the work bench. I was in a hurry and the work-bench was there, so I got back into the train business (HO). One day I'll make a proper bench.

I'm using the "Terrain for Trains" pre-formed Timber Ridge layout. This is made from styrene and has the hills, rocks, places for buildings, raods and track outline built in. It measures 5' x 8' giving me 1 foot at the end for the control panel. I wonder if anyone on this list has used pre-formed layout for HO or the N scale one? If so your experiences with this or similar products would be invaluable.

Thanks,

Chris. Spratt Victoria, BC

Reply to
Chris. Spratt

The one building supply in town that sold it just burned down. Closest is now 41 miles. :-(

Kirk

"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly

'Captain' Kirk DeHaan

Hmm, sounds like a business opportunity there Kirk.

Want to y\run a building supply company?

Reply to
wannand

There are plenty of them but this one had all the "odd" stuff. Homasote, 1/2 sheets of plywood, etc.

Kirk

"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly

'Captain' Kirk DeHaan