Kato engine history

Has Kato ever made a HO Alco C-430 engine? Thanks in advance

Reply to
mike

no. Only ones to make them in plastic was Tyco and Pemco (which may be the same as the Tyco one, I'm not 100% sure) I can't think of anyone else who did them. The only Alco Kato did in HO was the RS-2/RSC-2, although they did do the drives for some of the Atlas Alco's. (which didn't include the C430, but did include the C424/C425)

Reply to
me

I seem to remember an article in MR in the 70s/80s where someone made a C430 using Tyco bodies on an Athearn(?) underframe.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Model Power has a C430. I believe it's made in Slovenia by Mehano.

I have a Pemco model which I'm in the process of correcting some of the incorrect details. It has some prooblems around the battery box area due to it's self contained power truck drive. I'm going to power it with Athearn compoenents.The see through radiator grills is a nice feature. The biggest downside is the plastic is incredibly soft.

I'm going to do a NYC model with it.

I think you might be able to kitbash one out of a Stewart C630. But it wasn't available when I started to project.

Eric

"no. Only ones to make them in plastic was Tyco and Pemco (which may be the same as the Tyco one, I'm not 100% sure) I can't think of anyone else who did them. The only Alco Kato did in HO was the RS-2/RSC-2, although they did do the drives for some of the Atlas Alco's. (which didn't include the C430, but did include the C424/C425)"

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan

Actually it was a C424 kitbashed from the Tyco C430. And it was in Railroad Modeler not Model Railroader.

Alco's C424, kitbashed from Tyco's C430 Railroad Modeler, September 1972 page 31 ( ALCO, C424, C430, CENTURY, "COPPOLA, DON", DIESEL, KITBASH, MANTUA, CONSTRUCTION, ENGINE, LOCOMOTIVE, RRM )

Eric

Gregory wrote:

"I seem to remember an article in MR in the 70s/80s where someone made a C430 using Tyco bodies on an Athearn(?) underframe."

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan

Ok, I set you on the right course :-)

Reply to
Greg Procter

Also, Tiger Valley Models also makes one.

Eric

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan