Keeping layouts clean?

Just curious here... I see so many beautiful, highly detailed layouts in the various model RR mags and got to wondering. How do they keep
these clean? Especially the ones with lots of delicate handmade trees and shrubs, etc. Seems to me it would be difficult if not impossible to keep dust from clinging to everything.

First you have to make sure everything is secured properly. Then a little micro vacuum can do a good job of cleaning up the dust.
A lot of people place tarps over their layouts when not in use also.

Having a clean environment to start with helps a lot. Keep the air filters on the furnace cleaned. If you are in an unfinished basement, consider finishing it enough so that the walls aren't as exposed. Dirt will still come in, but keeping the air clean helps.
--
-Glennl
The despammed service works OK, but unfortunately
     snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) writes:

Don't let anybody in the clean room unless they are wearing a hazmat suit so they don't shed any skin cells on or near the layout.
Paul
--
The lotto must be rigged, I should have won by now.
Modular furniture is cruel and unusual.

Obviously you need a containment area. In a hallway, put two doors one on each end, and implant the hazmat suits with some sort of RFID or even some sort of infrared scheme. Make it so the doors to the train room open automatically for someone wearing a suit, and shut quickly if someone who's not wearing a suit passes through.
You can skip the chemical shower afterwards, afterall this is just a model railroad. Other than that, full quarantine must be observed!!!
Puckdropper

in article 45d220f0$0$97242$ snipped-for-privacy@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net, Puckdropper at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 2/13/07 12:34 PM:

Clearly you folks are not really into keeping the model railroad clean. One must install a IC manufacturing level clean room with proper filters and positive internal pressure prior to even installing the rail road. Then introduce NASA planetary exploration level clean robots and building materials and remotely control the robots which will build the layout.
Introduce you model loco's and rolling stock as well as structures after they have been de-contaminated and wrapped in gold foil. Not prototypical, I know, but we must keep things clean.
Then operate everything with remote biohazard level mechanical or gloved hands from outside. No biological entity must ever enter the room.
Come on, guys, get with the program.
;-}
--
Ed Oates
http://homepage.mac.com/edoates

Waldo's?
By George ... uh Ed I think you've got it!!!
Where should we build this marvelous wonder???? Are there any buildings available at Moffet Field?? The big hanger would be KEWL!!?? ;)

--
The lotto must be rigged, I should have won by now.
Modular furniture is cruel and unusual.
snipped-for-privacy@pimin.wan.vpn (Paul Newhouse) wrote in

Isn't there a place available somewhere around New Mexico?
Puckdropper

(Paul Newhouse) wrote:

I've heard that the former Pacific Aircraft Maintenance hanger here in Portland, Oregon is vacant again. As it can hold a 747 and related crap, you could built a multi-level marvel in there. Bad news is that the fire supression foam cannons occasionally go off, blanketing the entire room in 4 feet of (FAA-approved!) fire supression foam.
--
-Glennl
The despammed service works OK, but unfortunately
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) wrote in (Paul Newhouse) wrote:

No problem, we'll just get the rotaries out! As long as that foam is clean, we'll have no operating trouble at all.
Puckdropper

     snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) writes:

My guess is we can figure out how to rip them out ... no?
Paul
--
The lotto must be rigged, I should have won by now.
Modular furniture is cruel and unusual.

Obviously!! Now if we could just do that at the club!! They (the Fair maintainence group) painted the metal ceiling about 25 years ago, just before we (the club memebers) started building the layout. OOOppps, they forgot to clean and prime it. Now we have "black snow" every time the temp changes quickly ... damn'd annoying stuff. The building leaks and the area is a dust bowl in the summer.
Vacuum cleaners, dry clean brushes and nylon stockings (streched across the vacuum to catch things that have come unglued that you might not want to fish through the vacuum bag/container for).
A clean room doesn't seem all that bad of an idea!! *8^)
Paul
--
The lotto must be rigged, I should have won by now.
Modular furniture is cruel and unusual.

I simply maintain a total vacuum in my layout area. As a side benefit, I get to use the air which I sucked out of the room to power my airbrush.

Excellant!!!! This is really starting to come together!! *8^)))
Paul
--
The lotto must be rigged, I should have won by now.
Modular furniture is cruel and unusual.

If a train runs in a vacuum, can you hear it steam?

I've been following this thread with some interest. It is possible that the exact opposite of creating a vaccuum might hold the solution to this problem. I believe a certain approach developed over half a century ago, can be succesfully extended to keep our railroads clean. I refer, of course, to the well-known article found on page 37 of the April, 1952 issue of MR entitled "How to Pressurize Your Basement". I would maintain, in addition to the other advantages therein presented, that a pressurized environment must be a clean environment!! After all, dust, once removed and with pressure applied, would be held in place and never make its way back to our respective tables! The instructions for pressurization are given in detail and while one must take inflation into account (the price of materials given was $3915.00), no cost should be too great in solving this debilitating problem. Oh, one possible extra consideration; before proceeding please note the date of the magazine. Thank you.
Jerry

Does that involve serving chili after operating sessions?

That's optional. I do not include beans in my chili recipes, although, I almost always serve them as a side-dish. Thank you.
Jerry
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Just a "modest" $29,793 in 2006 dollars.
--
Hank Murray
Quincy, IL

This is actually fairly common now for certain buildings.
Positive pressurization means adding a makeup air fan and duct between the room in question and the rest of the house and/or outside. Rest of the house would probably be better if just doing one room, as the air is already heated / cooled. Letting in a whole lot of outside air means radically changing the heating / air conditioning needs of the room.
If all you have is a single bedroom or some such dedicated to the railroad, then the easiest solution would probably be to put a duct booster fan into the duct between the room in question and the rest of the house. Something in the neighborhood of 300 cfm or so should provide fairly good positive pressurization for just one room - if the door is kept closed most of the time. You will also want to add a small air filter so that the air coming in to cause the pressurization isn't also carrying dirt. To effectively pressurize an entire house or basement, you are looking at a lot more cfm and it will depend a lot on the air leaks in the house. You're going to want to plug those up first (which, if you want things clean, should be done anyway so that dirt sources are reduced).