Keeping layouts clean?

On Feb 16, 11:31 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) wrote:

Touche. But, as I said, consider the date of the original article. Thank you. Jerry
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

And don't smoke. Smoke is mostly li'l drops of oily goop that clings to everything and attracts dust.
Actually, since what dust there is will deposit pretty evenly all over the layout, you may not realise how dusty it is until you install a brand new undusted building or fresh trees. How do I know? Well, you see....

I have that bad habit. Oh well. Real trains get all sorts of gunk on them, so a little tar would seem to be prototypical.
There are various ways but the following item from Harbor Freight will help. 91393-4VGA Ion generators will also help. See 90953-0VGA from Harbor Freight.
Both of these are examples and I'm sure like items can be found other places.
" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote:

I think a lot depends on the location of the layout. One that is housed within a well maintained home isn't going to get particularly dirty. The small amount of dust that collects can be removed using an ordinary household vacuum cleaner, so long as you keep the nozzle 6"/150mm away from surfaces and then rescue the occassional figure etc from the dust bag. The track itself can be cleaned using a cloth wiper under a wagon propelled around the layout once a week.
For layouts in garages, workshops ... an overall cover is required. This is a BIG subject. I'd suggest a lift-off lightweight frame with perhaps a light plastic sheet covering.
Regards, Greg.P.