lichen preserved with antifreeze

I am making layout scenery with local lichen, dye, and a solution of water/glycerin.

Glycerin isn't cheap and I was wondering if anyone had tried substituting it with antifreeze ( which contains a good deal of glycerin)

Reply to
tex shalter

Antifreeze contains ethylene glycol, a different, and highly poisonous, compound.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

And for inveterate hams noted for chewing up the scenery, that might be a real drawback.

Reply to
Steve Caple

ts:

I don't think I'd use regular ethylene glycol antifreeze, which as Wolf notes is toxic. I think _propylene glycol_ RV plumbing antifreeze could have possibilities. Museums use propylene glycol to preserve wooden artifacts. Propylene glycol is nontoxic. I'd stick to the preparations sold for plumbing systems; I have seen and used propylene glycol antifreeze which is sold as engine coolant, but that has corrosion inhibitors added, which could be poisonous.

Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and a solid-state Ampack.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

worth a try at $ 4 thanks for the suggestion Gerard

tex shalter

Please don't use antifreeze. China needs it as an ingredient for the toothpaste they manufacture.

History of N Scale:
's Store--Books, Trains, and Toys:
to 1,200 sites:

Bill

They won't have a problem with supply now that Austria and Italy aren't using it to sweeten wine anymore.

Reply to
Steve Caple

So that's why the wine tastes different these days!

Bill

Reply to
Bill