lichen preserved with antifreeze

I am making layout scenery with local lichen, dye, and a solution of water/glycerin.
Glycerin isn't cheap and I was wondering if anyone had tried substituting it
with antifreeze ( which contains a good deal of glycerin)
tex shalter wrote:

Antifreeze contains ethylene glycol, a different, and highly poisonous, compound.
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:15:40 -0400, Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

And for inveterate hams noted for chewing up the scenery, that might be a real drawback.
--
Steve

tex shalter wrote:

ts:
I don't think I'd use regular ethylene glycol antifreeze, which as Wolf notes is toxic. I think _propylene glycol_ RV plumbing antifreeze could have possibilities. Museums use propylene glycol to preserve wooden artifacts. Propylene glycol is nontoxic. I'd stick to the preparations sold for plumbing systems; I have seen and used propylene glycol antifreeze which is sold as engine coolant, but that has corrosion inhibitors added, which could be poisonous.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode O&MfrPartNumber0757
Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and a solid-state Ampack.
worth a try at $ 4 thanks for the suggestion Gerard

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode O&MfrPartNumber0757

Please don't use antifreeze. China needs it as an ingredient for the toothpaste they manufacture.<g>
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Bill's Store--Books, Trains, and Toys: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore Resources--Links to 1,200 sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:34:02 -0700, Bill wrote:

They won't have a problem with supply now that Austria and Italy aren't using it to sweeten wine anymore.
--
Steve

So that's why the wine tastes different these days!
Bill