Making your own decals...

I've had good luck using an off-the-shelf HP Photosmart C6180 for decal printing.
---------------------------
Does it print white?
As the vast majority of railroad marks are white, I'd think the ability to print in white is the most important criteria for decal printer.
--
Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -

No.
Good luck finding one that's affordable.
For things such as railroad names it's probably more practical to pay someone to run you off a few hundred than to buy a printer just for that capability.
~Pete

Good luck finding one that's affordable.
For things such as railroad names it's probably more practical to pay someone to run you off a few hundred than to buy a printer just for that capability.
Tend to agree with that,
--
Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -

This guy is good: http://www.solidesign.bizland.com /
He's made both "CRESTLINE" and "SUD PACIFICO De MEXICO" logo decals for me, and I was (and am) pleased with the results.
Good quality, easy to work with, and he doesn't waste time getting your order to you.
~Pete

This guy is good: http://www.solidesign.bizland.com /
He's made both "CRESTLINE" and "SUD PACIFICO De MEXICO" logo decals for me, and I was (and am) pleased with the results.
Good quality, easy to work with, and he doesn't waste time getting your order to you.
-------------------------------------
Thanks, I've bookmarked it for later, when I get to rebuild my GER.
--
Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -
On 16/07/2010 14:06, Roger Traviss wrote:

No inkjet or laser printer prints white.
The Alps printer used a wax that was transferred from a ribbon to the paper. The wax was laid down in stripes. Very expensive for b/w printing, since most of the wax wasn't used, and inadequate registration for photo-quality printing.
cheers, wolf k.
On 7/16/2010 11:06 AM Roger Traviss spake thus:
[Twibil posted:]

I've thought about this a bit, and it seems that it might be possible--though a lot of work and a pain in the ass--to get white in your decals by selective underpainting of the surface to be decaled, in the places that will show up white later. For some simpler decals, like circular emblems with white interiors, this might not be too bad.
On 7/16/2010 10:54 AM Twibil spake thus:

So I take it that you use this in an inkjet printer, correct? (I suppose it might work in a color laser printer as well.) If you use inkjet, can you tell us about any potential problems with the ink running or dissolving when the decal is set? (Never have done this myself.)
(But now I realize after reading this: you haven't told us what decal paper you use, have you? just the name of the printer?)

Si!
As per instructions, you wait until the ink from the printer is 100% dry (I wait 24 hours) and then spray the decal paper throughly with either Dullcote or Glosscote, depending on whether you want flat or glossy decals. You then wait *another* 24 hours before cutting them out and using them.
Works fine unless you've been too parsimonious with the overcoat, in which case the ink might still try to run. Which is why I shoot *two* cover coats now.
~Pete

Warning: *laser* printers use heat to fix the toner. Decal 'paper' may not handle the heat, unless it is designed for laser printers. Note inkjet printers use water-based inks and unless the decal paper is designed to to be used with inkjet ink, there could be problems.

You need to apply a fixative to seal the *water based* inkjet ink.

There are several source of inkjet compatible decal paper. Usually there is a fixative spray you get with the paper.

In that case, what about photocopying the image onto the paper?
On 7/16/2010 7:35 PM None spake thus:

Well, if you mean photocopying as in "put the decal paper into a copier and make a copy on it", then that's basically the same as using a laser printer (copiers are toner-based as well), so you'd need to use paper that's made for that process.

Unless it is an inkjet all-in-one, in which case it is just like an inkjet printer...
There are basicly two 'printing' techologies in (current) common use: inkjet (water based ink) or laser (backed on dry toner) and the same techologies are used for both photocopiers and printers. All-in-one / multifunction 'printers' just combine multiple subsystems into one unit, but the subsystems are the same when not in combination. (Yes, some older standalone faxes used a continious roll thermal printer system.)

On 7/17/2010 4:37 AM Robert Heller spake thus:

Well, yes, except that if someone uses the term "photocopy", chances are they're referring to a commercial-type copy machine, which are 100% toner-based, not inkjet. (Desktop copiers, or all-in-one fax/printer/copier machines are often inkjet-based, it's true.)
I guess the person I responded to will have to tell us exactly what they meant here ...

Essentially, if you could photocopy it you wouldn't need some out-of- production printer. My Brothers printer photocopys in color. It was just a thought.

If it is a home office all-in-one / multifunction, it is an inkjet printer + scanner + faxmodem: printer+scanner == 'photocopier', faxmodem+printer == fax receiver, scanner+faxmodem == fax sender. There is no difference between *printing* (from the computer) and photocopying as far as getting ink on the paper. You'll need decal paper that can be printer with water based ink (inkjet) and you'll need to fix the *dry* ink afterward (eg dulcoat, etc.).

On 16/07/2010 22:35, None wrote:

Same issues as with laser printing. Photocopying uses the same process as a laser printer: the toner is sealed to the paper by heat. The difference between copying and printing is software. That's why "multi-function" laser printers/scanners/copiers are cheap.
cheers, wolf k.

I found this source for decal film, prices seem good. Has anyone tried them?
http://www.bare-metal.com/Experts-Choice-Decal-Film.html
Bob

Yes, I have - excellent decal paper! I only use their laser paper since I print using my ancient Alps printer!
There is also a lot of misinformation about Alps printers in general. First of all, printing method used for printing decals is NOT DyeSub. It is thermal ink transfer using wax/resin ink (no sublimation takes place - ink is deposited on top of the decal paper). Alps printers (MD-5500) were still being made until the end of May 2010. There are still thousands of users out there (over 3000 Alps users belong to the Alps and alpsdecal Yahoo groups). Ink is still being produced by Alps (for the next 5 years). While coarse halftones are a downfall of Alps color printing there are many ink layering techniques which give solid colors. Overall using Alps is sometimes frustrating and time intensive process, the results are stunning! There is nothing else like Alps in consumer market (read: affordable).
Peteski
On 7/19/2010 11:55 PM Peter W. spake thus:

Not sure that's a misunderstanding: "sublimation" means going directly from solid to vapor phase. The ink is still deposited on top of the printed sheet, same as with laser or inkjet.

Good to know. I shoulda bought one when they were still plentiful and cheap on eBay.