Mantua Shifter Driver Replacement

I have a very only Mantua 0-4-0 which needs the read driver replaced. The one I have is no longer insulated on one side. Model Power does not have this part. It is part number 25150. When I look other places they list the wheel sets in inches. Is this a 50" wheel?

Does anybody know who makes a replacement that will work?

Thanks Tom G.

Reply to
newscorrespondent

That would be 50" in HO, which is read by an HO scale ruler, which is about 10.00 at a hobby shop. Metal ruler that will give measurements in HO, N,S, and O. As for the part.......the new Model Railroader has an ad for the Model Power (Mantua) 0-4-0 Saddle tanker so parts for that may work and I would think they would be out soon. Getting another set (other than those) to work would take some modifications that you may not want to get into at this time, but who knows? It probably would NOT just bolt up and would take making side rods to fit or something. Some scratch-building skills would be needed.

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

Tom G. wrote: I have a very only Mantua 0-4-0 which needs the read driver replaced. The one I have is no longer insulated on one side. Model Power does not have this part. It is part number 25150. When I look other places they list the wheel sets in inches. Is this a 50" wheel? Does anybody know who makes a replacement that will work?

---------------------------------------------- I believe Rte. 30 Trains has parts for Mantua:

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

My two solutions (which don't directly answer your question) are:

- buy a very secondhand Mantua 0-4-0 and take a wheel from it.

- Buy four new wheels from another supplier.

There must be hundreds of thousands of those Mantua locos in junkboxes across the USa.

Regards. Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Dear Mr. Proctor,

If I remember right, the old and new Mantua 50" drivers are slightly different in diameter and have different flanges, but have the same axles. What kind of motor does this Shifter have? If it has a PM-1 with a nylon worm and nylon gear, the gear should also be the same for both kinds of drivers, so you should be able to buy two of the newer style and replace both sets. This costs more than one set, of course, but you do get smaller flanges. You might also press the tire off the driver with bad insulation and replace it with a piece of index card or fiber gasket material. The fiber material is available at your friendly neighborhood auto parts store in several thicknesses. Just cut a strip with the grain, wrap it around the center, and press the tire back on.

Cordially yours, Gerard P.

Reply to
Gerard Pawlowski

Odds are that the new driver will be a different diameter or different quarter than the old pair. Get both axles from a matched set (both need to be from the same era and from the same vendor) for best results. Don't forget that you can always replace the insulation with fresh stuff and get the original wheelset back. Cardboard of the right thickness will do a good job and a bit of superglue will keep things in alignment.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Only a few years ago, Mantua had a parts dept. thru which I was able to order a full set of drivers for a Pacific. You might look and see if it is still doing business under a new name. Both the other suggestions (buy a junker at a show and cannibalize it, replace the failed insulation with card stock and super glue) are workable. The Mantua locomotives were heavy, good runners, and were great for kit bash projects. All they need is a good paint job to look quite nice. Glaze the cab windows, add a few brass superdetail parts (bell, whistle, air compressor), make the headlight work, and they can be very good indeed. A shifter is well worth some tender loving care (tlc) to get running again. I was sorry to see Mantua go out of the train business.

David J. Starr

Reply to
David J. Starr