Minimum radius for 2-8-8-2

Jim, both engines are preserved. "Minør", Jung 129 of 1892 is the engine displayed at the harbour, it was previously stored in the Harbour Board's Artunshöfdi depot. The other engine, "Pioner", Jung 130 of 1892, is displayed at the Arbae Folk Museum in Hofabakki.

There is a third steam "locomotive" also at the Folk Museum, an Aveling & Porter steam roller, AP 7752 of 1912.

When(!) I find my photos, I'll post a link.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Looking at the posted picture, I see the wood box. I didn't recognize the back cover or the color. It seems a little greenish and it looked coal black in person. The light there, you know, does something.....

I was out to Hofabakki with a group of locals. They were budy showing me the fishing stuff (It was a trade group). I guess I saw less of the place than I thought. We also went to the falls and up on the glacier that day....

Is that third one the one they tried to the "elves' house on the ring road?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Stewart

The ring road came long after the age of the steam roller here in Iceland. The steam roller may have been used on road building in Reykjavík between the wars but the equipment that you mentioned in conjuction with the ring road just outside Reykjavík, was in such a condition that it would have broken down eventually, elves or no elves.

Reply to
Sigvaldi Eggertsson

The steam roller was built about 1900. I do not think your "friends" sent anything new, so I would speculate that it came over between WWI and the post WWII period. Yes, I was thinking about the first segment of the ring road, knowing the final phases to be completed about 20? years ago.

I am sure the elves helped it along. ;-)

But, then again, I was there Jan to April and we did spend a lot of time consuming pizza, cocacola, and "Black Death".

Sigvaldi? Do you have a layout in Iceland? If so, where and what?

Jim Stewart

Reply to
Jim Stewart