Modelling trees

"Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)" Modeling Mod"el*ing, n. (Fine Arts) The act or art of making a model from which a work of art is to be executed; the formation of a work of art from some plastic material. Also, in painting, drawing, etc., the expression or indication of solid form. Written also modelling.

HTH

--DW

Reply to
I & R

Steel wool in vinegar is easy... make lots at a time cause you find all kinds of uses for it! simply get your self a bottle of vinegar and get enough fine steel wool to stuff the bottle with it and put them together(I found a wide mouth bottle works best.)make sure the vinegar is covering the steel wool and then (shake it every so often!)let it sit until the steel wool disolves... should be a bunch of rusty or metal looking material in the bottom! then you use this as your stain! to make something rusty or brown you can get the rusty material from the bottom of the jar(or shake it up) ... for wearhered silvery wood use the clearish vinegar water(*can't remember if I used any of the rusty material) paint them and then wrap your boards in saran wrap so no air gets to them and leave them to dry...the'll soak up the liquid and warp and go silver...stacking pieces together also helps to keep the air out! 3 days and you got hundred year old looking wood!

your material looks different from what I use... It dosn't need anything to make it look right! check here for a picture of the stuff in natural state... it comes apart looking like pine or fir tree branches... color is right too!;

and if your in Arizona I dare say you'r not gonna find it there...Oregan Washington and BC and in the rockies would be where to look. Maby northern california!

I just put that picture up there so it might be tomorrow before you can get it!

Tom

Ariz> So your the guy that mentioned soaking steel wool in vinegar. I made up a

Reply to
Tom Watson

Thanks for the tips -- the url below doesn't seem to work.

David Victoria

Tom Wats> .....

Reply to
David P Harris

Glad to hear that question too, but that excellent magazine Model Railroader consistently spells it "modeling". Seriously, I admit that is an accepted US usage, even the Concise Oxford Dictionary acknowledges that. And I would be the first to point out that in London I say "pavement" and in New York I say "sidewalk". When in Rome...

Reply to
Ed Callaghan

Pavement in Canada is asphalt, while sidewalks are walked upon. {;^)

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

Reply to