Multi level N scale layout thoughts wanted

I have big aspirations and a small space. Room size is a little smaller than 7'x11'. Actually, I am looking for a used winterized trailer in the

8'x12' range. Option two, I build a shed. (Trailer would be easier to bring with me when I move, and I could even bring the layout to shows.)

With aproximately 6" walls, the layout will have to fit into about 7'x11'. There will be a door along one of the long walls and no windows. I might put in a skylight and a screen door for the summer days.

I am thinking that if I want a layout to (eventually) meet my aspirations, I can either buy/build a new house with more space or I can build my layout up and/or down. Wish I had the money for the first option, until I do, the trailer/shed it is.

I will be building the layout in N scale, so that already gives it some elbow room. Never the less, I want more. I am working with a C shaped layout. Each end of the C will have a helix up or down to the next level. That should maximize the layout space, while still allowing two seated/kneeling adults or up to four crowded standing ones.

Along the back straight section, the layout will be between 18" and 30" deep. I figure that the top level should be at about five feet high. The bottom level should be about three feet high. That puts the middle level at four feet high. Including structure, each level is one foot high. That seems just a little small to me.

I was thinking that 18" height would be easier to look at and particularly to operate and maintain the layout. That puts the bottom layer closer to two feet, or the top layer climbs up to six feet. Working at two feet will not be nice to my back. Six feet means shorter people, like children, would need a stool to see the top level.

Do you have a three or more level layout, or have you seen one? What were the heights? How did it work? What was good? What was bad? Comments, thoughs and criticisms welcome.

Thanks, Carolyn

Reply to
Carolyn Marenger

I'm in the midst of the design process of one right now. My "room" (a bit less than half a basement) is 13' x 17' nominal, so I have a little more room.

My design calls for "around the walls" on three sides, with a center penninsula. I've built a scale model of the room and layout tables for verification.

I'm skipping the helixes, however. The top level will be flat across three sides, then start sloping down along the third where it makes a U tuen, and continues downslope to the penninsula. It runs out and back, still going downhill, and then back over (still going down) under where it started, and then back, along the back wall (skipping the penninsula this time) and finally ending up under the turnaround. Bad ASCII art of the table only follows:

The rail line runs from upper yard (A) through middle yard G to lower yard (P). Typical shelf width 12-18 inches, loops 36 inches.

Vertical separation between top and bottom is 20 inches, but that's over a 5 scale mile run. ;) Lower level is at 30 inches (typical table height) so the yard can be operated while seated, the upper level is (surprise) at 50 inches.

Reply to
Joe Ellis