Need help #2

Hello all, I have an Atlantic Coast Line "B" unit made by Athearn that is not powered....Can I get another "B" unit that is powered and made by Athearn and simply swap the shells so that I would have a powered "B" unit for my ACL?..Thanks to all for the help...Mike

Reply to
Mike Kasiorek

It actually doesn't matter whether it is an A or a B unit as the chassis are the same.

Bob May

Your previous "Help Needed" post suggests this Athearn B-unit may be an older unit that was also inherited from your father. If you plan to run this powered B-unit with an older powered A-unit, you would do well to use the same vintage Athearn powered chassis for the B-unit. There are at least

5 different generations of Athearn F-7 power chassis: 1) The "Hi-F" rubber band drive (ca. 1960's) 2) The early geared chassis (offered as an alternative to the Hi-F) with outside bearing, metal side frames and rounded ends to the truck cover plates (ca. 1960's) 3) The later geared chassis with outside bearing, metal side frames and a motor having a black ring-shaped field magnet, offered with and without gray sintered iron flywheels and with and without the extra "super" weight (ca. 1970's and 80's) 4) The improved chassis with the gold flat-sided motor, turned brass flywheels, and inside bearing plastic sideframe trucks (ca. 1990's) 5) The "Genesis" chassis (ca. 2000's) Geezer
Reply to
Geezer

Reply to
Charles Kimbrough

There was also a earlier die-cast geared chassis, nicely made and assembled with 2-56 machine screws, it was made in F unit and GP versions. Roger Aultman

Charles Kimbrough wrote:

Reply to
Roger Aultman