Loco Wanted

SW series switcher (hood slopes back toward cab) in L&N livery (Family Lines at the latest).

My grandad made his living driving one of these. Once when I was about

11 or 12 (48 years ago), he took me down to the South Nashville yards, put me in the right hand seat of such a loco and let me drive it about a hundred yards.

You can see why I simply MUST have one of these for the layout I am re- doing in a mid-1950's flavor.

The closest I have found so far is a unit from Athearn, but it is only a dummy and I want an operating one.

Reply to
Norman Morgan

The dummy loco can have a power unit put under it. Buy the dummy for it's top shell and another of the same model for the drive and swap the shells so you get the powered unit you want and then sell the dummy loco. The other thing is to check with Walther's to see if the paint scheme is still being produced by Athearn.

Bob May

Walthers no longer lists Athearn, nor Roundhouse/MDC. These brands are now owned by a rival wholesaler.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Ah, well, it was past my bedtime. Try Horizon for the Athearn stuff as well as eBay and other such places. Don't forget your local hobby shop along the way if you have one near you.

Bob May