Need maintenance info on Santa Fe Berkshire Jr. - Lionel #6-28671

This locomotive came with Lionel's Santa Fe Fast Freight set (O scale). It's producing metallic grinding noises after it's been running for about 15 minutes. The set is brand new, and we'll get warranty repair if we have to, but we'd first like to check the gears and bearings and see if a little grease will fix the problem.

We haven't been able to find a service manual, or even basic instructions on how to get to the motor.

Any help appreciated.

Reply to
Peter

If it's still under warranty, don't cause yourself any grief. Send it back.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Pg. 18.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Thanks Wolf. We did a basic chassis lubrication this evening and it seems to have fixed the grinding. Fortunately I don't think we'll need to remove the carriage.

One website listed the motor for this locomotive as being "maintenance free". How true is that? Does it just mean, when it does eventually require lubrication we'll have to ship it back to Lionel? :-)

Reply to
Peter

It's a sealed DC permanent magnet "can" motor. It will need to be replaced when, if ever, it fails. You can lubricate the armature ends, sometimes.

Mabuchi is a popular brand name of "can" motors.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1