Need maintenance info on Santa Fe Berkshire Jr. - Lionel #6-28671

This locomotive came with Lionel's Santa Fe Fast Freight set (O scale). It's producing metallic grinding noises after it's been
running for about 15 minutes. The set is brand new, and we'll get warranty repair if we have to, but we'd first like to check the gears and bearings and see if a little grease will fix the problem.
We haven't been able to find a service manual, or even basic instructions on how to get to the motor.
Any help appreciated.
Peter wrote:

If it's still under warranty, don't cause yourself any grief. Send it back.

Thanks Wolf. We did a basic chassis lubrication this evening and it seems to have fixed the grinding. Fortunately I don't think we'll need to remove the carriage.
One website listed the motor for this locomotive as being "maintenance free". How true is that? Does it just mean, when it does eventually require lubrication we'll have to ship it back to Lionel? :-)
Peter wrote:

It's a sealed DC permanent magnet "can" motor. It will need to be replaced when, if ever, it fails. You can lubricate the armature ends, sometimes.
Mabuchi is a popular brand name of "can" motors.
http://images.google.com/images?q=mabuchi%20motor
Rob
Peter wrote:

http://www.lionel.com/products/productnavigator/InstructionManuals/73-1985-250.pdf