New to the group---whats the best way to start scenery?

Hi all, I have been lurking around for a week or so and I am now ready to begin my layout... I have chosen my track plan, built my table ( a 4x8 framed plywood base covered w/ 1/2" homosote), an now I would like to know where I should go next....

I don't like that grass mat you can buy, but I am unsure of what to cover/paint the homosote with to get a "realistic" feel. I will be building some mountainous areas with plaster/chicken wire/cardboard, and I am going for a more rural/industrial setting ( lumber industry/ coal etc...)

Obviously I am new to full time model RR, when I was a kid I had a 4x6 layout, but it was only out near xmas, now that I own my own house I want to get into it more as a full time hobby. I am starting with 4x8, but I know it will grow!! Thanks in advance, Matt Abington, Pa

Reply to
Matt C.

Matt=A0C. wrote: =A0=A0I have been lurking around for a week or so and I am now ready to begin my layout... =A0=A0I have chosen my track plan, built my table ( a 4x8 framed plywood base covered w/ 1/2" homosote), an now I would like to know where I should go next.... I don't like that grass mat you can buy, but I am unsure of what to cover/paint the homosote with to get a "realistic" feel. I will be building some mountainous areas with plaster/chicken wire/cardboard, and I am going for a more rural/industrial setting ( lumber industry/ coal etc...)

---------------------------------------------------- Here are three good sites:

Thor's All Gauge Page:

NMRA:
Bill Carl's Page:
BTW, welcome to the group! I'm sure you'll find a lot of useful info here. I hope you enjoy your railroad.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 600 helpful sites:

Bill

Matt=A0C. wrote: =A0=A0I have been lurking around for a week or so and I am now ready to begin my layout... =A0=A0I have chosen my track plan, built my table ( a 4x8 framed plywood base covered w/ 1/2" homosote), an now I would like to know where I should go next.... I don't like that grass mat you can buy, but I am unsure of what to cover/paint the homosote with to get a "realistic" feel. I will be building some mountainous areas with plaster/chicken wire/cardboard, and I am going for a more rural/industrial setting ( lumber industry/ coal etc...)

--------------------------------------------------- Here are two good books:

"Scenery for Your Model Railroad":

"Basic Scenery for Model Railroaders":

You can buy both for about $26 and get free shipping and handling.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 600 helpful sites:

Bill

In my opinion , one of the best books, if not "the best ever" on scenery is "How to build realistic model railroad scenery" by Dave Frary. Go here to the "How to do it section".

If you buy this book I'm sure won't regret it.Its great.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

Ken=A0Day replied: In my opinion , one of the best books, if not "the best ever" on scenery is "How to build realistic model railroad scenery" by Dave Frary. Go here to the "How to do it section".

If you buy this book I'm sure won't regret it.Its great.

--------------------------------------------------- I agree. Dave Frary's book is one of my favorites. I believe it's currently out of print, you might find it at Amazon:

History of N Scale:
Links to over 600 helpful sites:

Bill

Dave also has a couple videos on which he demonstrates his water based scenery techniques using a small module. Micro Mark sells them, and he also has them on his web site at I have both videos, and the books, and consider them all excellent. You may, too.

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy" (In Illinois)

Reply to
Paul K - The CB&Q Guy

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy" (In Illinois) wrote: Dave also has a couple videos on which he demonstrates his water based scenery techniques using a small module. Micro Mark sells them, and he also has them on his web site at =A0 I have both videos, and the books, and consider them all excellent. You may, too.