newbie - n gauge layout in a drawer ... ideas ...

Looking for some advice on building a n gauge layout in a large lateral drawer. I'm building a large storage unit in a room and I want
to incorporate into it a large drawer which will be about 2.5m x 70cm. The draw will slide out from the main unit on large sliders like these
http://www.comdir.co.uk/components.aspx?intGroupID 9.
Within this area I want to build a small interesting layout. Does anyone have any advice on building a 'slide-able' layout.
Thanks in advance
Jeff
Jeff, I would suggest you try some of these web locations...
Kato has some nice plans, click on "Unitrack" from www.katousa.com then click on "Track Plans" down the left side under "N Unitrack". You don't have to be using Unitrack to make these plans, they are just for inspiration. But, if you do use Unitrack then you have the option of taking apart and redesigning your layout as often as you want.
A Google search for "N Gauge model train layout plans" should yield some interesting links or download some track planning software and design your own layout - check out www.rrtrack.com it has design software (for Windows) and it's pretty good bang for the buck.
If this doesn't yield some possibilities then check out what the local hobby shop, library or club has in the way of magazines and publications.
Pete
JeffYoung wrote: Looking for some advice on building a n gauge layout in a large lateral drawer. I'm building a large storage unit in a room and I want to incorporate into it a large drawer which will be about 2.5m x 70cm. ----------------------------------------------------- Micro Layouts for Model Railroads might have some helpful photos and info you can use:
http://www.carendt.com /
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Resources: Links to over 700 helpful sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore.html
Jeff, Not on the actual layout side, but on the drawer itself. Wide but not deep drawers do have a tendency to jam crosswise unless their slides are accurately aligned and parallel. Also, most metal drawer slides have a little step at their inner ends, the drawer rollers drop into this step as they reach the inner ends of the slides, and this drop will give a jerk to the drawer which may throw your N scale rolling stock off its rails. Regards, Bill.
Jeff Young wrote: Looking for some advice on building a n gauge layout in a large lateral drawer. I'm building a large storage unit in a room and I want to incorporate into it a large drawer which will be about 2.5m x 70cm. ----------------------------------------------------- Micro Layouts for Model Railroads might have some helpful photos and info you can use:
http://www.carendt.com /
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Resources: Links to over 700 helpful sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore.html
snipped-for-privacy@perfectmotion.co.uk (Jeff Young) wrote in message

Jeff, It's N scale. Not N guage. Guage is the distance between the rails. Sorry for pickin' on ya, but you might as well get started on the right foot.
On 18 Apr 2004 05:26:11 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Justa Guy) wrote:

But he is on the right foot, N gauge is correct, N standing for 9mm which is the distance between the rails. The scale depends on what country you are in and may be 1:160 (US and Europe), 1:148 (UK), or 1:150 (Japan).
Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit <http://www.grovenor.dsl.pipex.com/ Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.