newbie questions about N guage

On 12/28/2007 10:33 PM Puckdropper spake thus:

Just one small note: the O.P. asked which couplers were better, not which were more prototypical. From the sound of it, he might not be all that interested in realism, but might be more concerned with operation (cars not coming uncoupled or getting derailed). So which couplers are better in this regard?
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Opinion varies.
I've had SOME Rapidos that were miserable failures about staying together. Replacement Microtrains trucks on the same cars have proven much more reliable. In general I have had better luck with the Microtrains, but your mileage may vary. For some reason the trip pins on MANY of the Microtrains couplers I have purchased (replacement trucks and on assembled cars) are lower than they should be (according to the gage). Low trip pins can snag on turnouts, rerailers or crossings. Fortunately the trip pins can easily be adjusted. The Kaydee trip pin pliers work just as well on the Microtrains trip pins.
A few cars that were troublesome about uncoupling or derailing worked much better after a little weight was added, although IF you have ambitions about running long trains you shouldn't get carried away about adding weight.
Body mount Rapido couplers on large locomotives linked to the nearly universal truck mounts on N Scale cars tends to be a problem in curves. Despite graphite lubrication they sometimes don't want to flex with the car's coupler.
Good track work without sudden grade changes or angled joints helps prevent breakaways as well.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Knuckle couplers.