Newray ?

While I'm on the subject of identifying manufacturers of N-scale (at least) models, who is this "Newray" I'm (relatively) suddenly seeing?

Is this a new name for a mfr that's been around a while?

Or, is it a complete newcomer on the block?

What's their reputation, if any?

Thanks again.

Reply to
MangroveRoot

------------------------------

I hadn't hard of Newray either, but here are some items by Newray...

History of N Scale:
's Store--Books, Trains, and Toys:
to 1,200 sites:

Bill

They make diecast, 1:32 and larger. Trucks and motorbikes, mostly. Good to excellent quality, depending on price-point required by retailer. Haven't seen the N scale stuff, but if it;s up to the quality of their larger scale offerings, it will be pretty good.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf K

-------------------------------------

New Ray's website:

Bill

Reply to
Bill

New Ray's website REQUIRES Flash - just for a product catalog!?

That alone qualifies them for ignoring.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Unfortunately, it's a Flash-only site. You can't get in without you turn on the Flash plug-in, which I have turned off by default. Must have recent grads of some "marketing" program making design decisions.

Why have I turned of Flash by default, you ask? Well, I haven't actually

- I've turned off JavaScript. A Flash object won't run without it. So why have I turned off JavaScript? Because it's unsafe, is why. I use Firefox with the NoScript extension, which allows me to select which sites and which objects on a site, will be allowed to run a script. Even so, it's not 100% secure -- I was recently infected by a really vicious virus, took over a day to clean up the mess, repair XP, and reinstall the most essential applications. The almost certain source was a poorly secured website. Keep in mind that poorly secured websites can be infected by 3rd parties.

So you can see why i detest Flash-only websites.

Cheers,

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

On 1/23/2009 10:26 AM Wolf K spake thus:

I second that emotion. If your site *requires* a plugin that my browser doesn't come with "out of the box", then fuggedaboudit. I'll go somewhere else.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

[...]

a) They sent me the address of their US website:

It includes Flash objects, but you can get the info you want without JavaScript.

The site I complained of was the one provided by Bill. Mind you, I still don't understand why it's a Flash-required site.

b) I looked at their product. As far as I can tell, it's not N gauge. The tracks are molded plastic, and look exactly like some that were included in a box of miscellaneous stuff donated to the club recently. The gauge is about 10.5mm. If the contents of the box are typical, the models themselves are OK as toys, but as scale models they're lacking. They might look nice on a cubicle desk, I guess. Not robust enough for small children, who like pushing things along tracks, and besides they have small parts which might fall off, be scarfed up by the infant, go down the wrong way, and choke the li'l guy to death, thus exposing you to the wrath of its mother. Not a pleasant prospect.

Cheers,

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

See my reply to David N.

Reply to
Wolf K

They been around they just got into trains they mainly a radio control car company. I got one there battery train set. The engine will make it around one lap on my lay before it runs out of juice. unfortianly the wheels on the cars are to deep and derail on track switches.I try switching out the wheels unfortantly the trucks got bad over hangs also. Bummer. cheep way getting some junker cars for back ground scene. Plus being metal they are top heavy and tend to crash in the curves. Then datail on the engines are not great. The cars are metal knock offs. I found one after took it apart to have a Atlas stamp from mold in the body on the inside. Other then that. there ok for kids. to much work to make them N-scale track ready . Next going grab Q train check those little guys out. May not work on the track. But modified them for a AIl train. I update you on those little trains when come in. Laterz

Reply to
yikes

Yup, those are very toy-like, nothing like an accurate scale model.

Here are couple of examples

They are quite crude. Proportions are off and trucks are wrong for the cars and locos. Windows are just painted-on detail. I suppose if someoene wanted some background models for a large pass. train station or a service facility, those models might work.

Those would be great to have as backup models for when some youngsters come and visit the layout. That way they can play with trains without having to worry about them damaging the "real" models.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Reply to