Northern Light & Power (Walthers)

I'm thinking of adding an interior to the N version of this structure. From the picture in Walthers catalogue I can get a good enough idea of the turbine and generators to model them. But I'm confused about the boiler. What does the front look like and what are those diagonal lines on the sides? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Stefan Patejak

Three sides go against the interior brick wall. Unless you are going to light the building, I don't see much use to buy interior

It is a fun build. Now to the substation.... Jim Stewart

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Boilers of this type (water tube) are just big sheet metal boxes on the outside. Inside they are filled with pipes to carry the water and make steam, and insulation around the walls. In commercial powerhouses they may be 10 or more stories high. There are vent pipes near the top for the exhaust gasses to escape ... usually going to some form of ash collectors or scrubbers, then to the stack. Such boilers can be fed with oil, gas, or powdered coal (blown in like a gas) near the bottom. There's little external detail to model. Usually they are surrounded by catwalks (open steel gratings) at various levels for maintenance, with ladders or stairs connecting the catwalks. Small sight glasses at critical points allow inspection of the inside.

The diagonal patterns on the Walthers boiler just represent structural reinforcements. About all you need to do to represent the prototype is add a few catwalks and some non descript plumbing near the bottom, and some ducts near the top connecting to the stack. An exact model it won't be, but it'll capture the look and feel of the real thing.

In addition, to do it right, you'd need the turbines, generators, condensers, coal pulverizers (rolling-ball mills, if coal fired), feedwater pumps, electrical switchgear, control panels, and a LOT of plumbing.

For sound, add the 'roar' of the boilers, the 'whine' of the turbines, the 'yowl' (amazing) of the feedwater pumps, the 'rumble' of the coal pulverizers, and the 'hum' of high voltage AC electricity.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Stefan Patejak wrote:

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell