Obscure 0-27 Question

One of my regular customers brought an old (1950s?) toy train into my shop today and just gave it to me. I've never seen anything quite
like it, so I thought I'd ask everyone here if they knew anything about it, or, if not, where I might go to find out.
The loco is a built-up brass (not cast) 0-4-0 switcher with a sloped- back tender; possibly a Pennsylvania prototype. It shows no identification of any sort, anywhere, and since the laws back then required Japanese-made stuff to be stamped "Made in Japan" -and the motor and gears appear to be American in origin- I suspect it was made over here in the US. (OTOH, I've never before seen an American-made built-up brass toy train locomotive before, so maybe it *is* Japanese.)
There's also a flat car, a (working) crane car, a gondola, and a built- up brass caboose in the set.
The caboose and two of the other cars say "Thomas" on the underside in rather small letters, so I suspect that that's the name of the set's maker; but Google only shows me Thomas The Tank Engine stuff when I search for "Thomas 0-27", and this stuff predates Thomas The Tank Engine by probably 50 years, so I'm currently stuck.
BTW, if anyone would like a closer look for identification purposes I could take a few photos and stick 'em up on Flicker for you to peer at.
Thanx,
~Pete
In message

Pete, I think the company name is Thomas Industries, rather than just Thomas. They were around in the early post war years, so your guess of 50 years is accurate. I know very little about them, and vaguely thought they made street cars, but from what you say, the range was larger. I do have a photo of a street light and box, marked Thomas Industries No. 14, but what the other 13 were, or whether there were numbers higher than 14, I don't know.
A very interesting find, and I would be delighted to see photos.
Cheers,
--
Graeme Eldred, Scotland
TCA 04-57743

Turns out you're right on the money, Graeme. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow and put them up so you -and anyone else who's interested- can take a look at 'em.
And thanx for the help.
~Pete
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 12:05:31 -0700 (PDT), Twibil

http://www.tcawestern.org/thomas.htm

Bingo! (And thanks!) It's the little 0-4-0 in the upper right corner of that page! B&O prototype. Missing one step from the front end, but otherwise all there. And since a couple of the cars say "Thomas" underneath, I think it's safe to assume to the whole set must have come from Thomas Industries. (Who I'd never heard of.)
Now all I have to do is figure out what an HO scale guy like me does with a 1949 toy train set...
~Pete