OT - Diesel Control Systems

Since I work with motor control systems and variable speed drives used in industrial environments I'm curious about how the electrical systems in diesels operate. I'd like to read up on the technical operation of both AC and DC units. Are there any web pages out there that discuss this? What I am interested in is far more detail and technical information than the basic, "A diesel engine turns a generator and that in turn powers the motors on the axles." I want to know *HOW* the electrical power is controlled via contactors, relays, transistors, resistors, SCRs, capacitors, inductors, etc... the sort of data that might be found in a shop manual.

Reply to
Rick Jones

That's a 91 year history of development! There are a few alternative methods used over that period, from the very first one, which I understand did have a Diesel motor turning a generator which was connected directly to a motor mounted on an axle.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

So what phrases have you googled? Tried "diesel electric locomotive control manual", for example?

You could also search or query used book vendors for technical manuals.

Good hunting!

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Until the advent of the electronic age in locos, the basic design was a series of 8 connection setups that were controlled by the throttle lever. Reverse was accomplished by another relay which reversed the current. Motors were wound field designs so you had more ways to hook things up. GE, I do believe had a 16 position throttle but it acted as the typical 8 step throttle when hooked to that system. :Linear control of locos really wan't attempted due to the high current of the systems. Dynamic brakes were just using the motors as generators and dumping that power into hugh resistor banks in the engine cabinet.

Bob May

To OP:

Check out:

It may be technical enough for you. More than technical enough for me. :-)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Thank you. That looks like it's close to what I had in mind.

Reply to
Rick Jones