Question about Trainz

Can anyone here tell me if the latest version of Trainz will operate properly under Windows XP. In other words must a user log onto Windows as an "administrator" (rather than as a "limited" user) in order to play?

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn Caron

I don't think that problem is in any way associated with the program itself. You can adjust the allowances for what a "Limited" user may and may not do with windows settings.

-T

Reply to
Tim Gill

Tim Gill wrote: > I don't think that problem is in any way associated with the program > itself. You can adjust the allowances for what a "Limited" user may and may > not do with windows settings.

I spoke to the guys from Auran at the Sydney exhibition last weekend. They had Trainz 2004 running under XP and I specifically asked this question (even though I'm a Linux junkie). They said to install by Administrator but subsequently run by limited users.

Cheers David

Reply to
David Bromage

Certainly there are no problems just _running_ Trainz UTC as a limited user, and I would expect TRS 2004 to be the same.

However you need Admin privileges to install the software and, more importantly, any downloaded content, of which there is a veritable feast. Also any saved maps, driver sessions, scenarios, etc. are stored in the program hierarchy, so again these would not be available on a limited account.

Hope this helps

-- Ant

home of the Antshire Trainz scenario

Reply to
Anthony Houghton

Thanks everyone for your advice. Sounds as if it will be able to be run by my kids without any security/control concerns. When I bought my new computer some time ago I found that some of the older games they enjoyed under pre XP operating systems would only run in XP in administrator accounts (which is understandable). I had good reason to *not* want to give them this kind of control. What was a bit upsetting was in spite of the publishers assurance that their latest software would run under XP only to find that - *yes* it would but only as an admin. There was even one piece of security software sold to help parents keep the "troops" in cheque that actually required the wee ones to logon as admins or it would not function. :-( BTW I did pose the question to the folks online at Trainz but was unable to get an answer. Thanks again - I think I will give Trainz a shot

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn Caron

Hi Lynn

You have two options here: Ether upgrade to Windows XP Pro or temporarily boot Windows XP Home into 'Safe Mode'

Either way you will then have the option of accessing the Security tab on the file and folder property sheets. Through this you can allow ordinary users access to specific folders not in their Documents and Settings hierarchy.

If you want more info, please email me.

-- Ant

Reply to
Anthony Houghton