Questions on Overton Coaches/Combines

Hi all

I made an impulse purchase today. I've always wanted passenger cars, but I only have room for a 4x8 HO layout, so I've not purchased them because I didn't think they'd look right on the curves. My LHS had some Roundhouse 34' Overton Coaches in stock, so I picked up a couple. I'm completely unfamiliar with these, so I've got a couple questions:

1) What is the history of these cars? Found nothing on google. From their style, I'm guessing they were used at the turn of the century but don't know how long they lasted in service.

2) What sort of steam locomotive would be most appropriate to use?

Thanks,

MrZ

Reply to
MrZaremba

Don't know about the history but a nice "American" 4-4-0 engine would go with these cars.

Reply to
Corelane

I think - but am far from certain - that the MDC Overton cars are based on a Sierra Railroad prototype. It may be worth your while googling that road.

Reply to
Mark Newton

I am currently researching a shortline that ran in the Toronto Ontario area, the Credit Valley Railway (1871-1881).

From what I have read, this line used the Overton style coaches on it's line.

I have also found out that the 4-4-0 was almost exclusively used on this line.

I hope this helps.

Reply to
<wiley