Radio Shack - do they still sell small parts?

I was under the impression that Radio Shack stores do not handle small parts like resistors any more. Can anyone tell me if that is the case?

--
Frank Eva
Digital Railroader

parts
The store in Yellowknife used to (a decade ago) carry an extensive selection of all types of parts, but they appear to be getting out of that in favour of the manufactured stuff. Recently had to wait 4 weeks while they ordered a small 'project box' - something they used to stock in a dozen sizes. Shocking! I guess there aren't that many people willing to build from parts any more.
Why am I in this handbasket? Where did you say we were going?
Ian Mathers Yellowknife, NT

````````````` What! Radio Shack is only carrying RTR now, too?! It's a slow killing virus, I tell you. You will be assimiliated...we're all doomed!
Paul - "The CB&Q Guy"

selection
favour
Allied Electronics is one place to find parts, though there's a $25 minimum.
https://www.alliedelec.com/default.asp
-- WSG "principio obstate"
XwmgrayZ1966 AT Yahoo.com Remove the "X" and "Z"

``````````````````` Talk about things going full circle. Back when I was a kid in the 1960's, Allied was THE place to buy electronic stuff. They were headquartered in Chicago on North Western Avenue, and I lived in Chicago on South Western Avenue. I went there once or twice as a kid on the bus and I still have the soldering gun I purchased from them during those days...and it still works great. I use it to solder feeders to HO rail.
Somewhere in the 1970's they merged or some such with an "unknown" outfit reportedly from out east somewhere called Radio Shack, and for a couple years, if that, they were called Allied Radio Shack. Eventually we ended up with just the Radio Shacks we all know today, and I ASSumed that Allied was long gone.
Knight kits forever!
Paul - "The CB&Q Guy" (and former Chicagoan)
Ian G. Mathers wrote:

Radio Shack is a pretty poor choice if you're looking for a good selection of electronics components at reasonable prices. Anybody that lives in a good-sized city should check their yellow pages under Electronic Equipment & Supplies. Chances are good you'll turn up some alternate sources that deal in repair parts used by technicians that fix equipment in factories and other industrial and commercial locations, and the good ones will have a broader range of components than RS. I've been a field service tech working in industrial automation and motor controls for the past 14 years. I wouldn't go to RS for parts unless it was the only choice for 100 mile radius or all I needed was a basic toggle switch.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me
Frank Eva wrote:

I stil buy resistors and power connectors there when my regular supplier is closed. Also red LEDs (but not white LEDs- Radio Shack they don't carry them).
-fm Webmaster, Rails on Wheels, Washtenaw County, Michigan's HO Modular Club, at http://www.railsonwheels.com
The address in the header of this message is deliberately bogus to foil address-harvesters. See my web sites for my real address.

parts
The ones around me don't have the wall display anymore, but they have a drawer cabinet with alot of the electronic parts in them, all grouped and labeled, so they're fairly easy to find.

Both of the stores here carry some small parts yet, but they're not on the wall anymore. They put in a set of parts drawers, well hidden in the back corner. Don't expect to find 5% resistors, or a wide variety of components. I suspect they only carry parts used in their own kits or used in the few project books they still have.
Bob McConnell N2SPP
: I was under the impression that Radio Shack stores do not handle small parts : like resistors any more. Can anyone tell me if that is the case? : : -- : Frank Eva : Digital Railroader : http://www.trainweb.org/digitalrailroader / : : Our local RS still has components; they're just in a different location (in a multi-compartment drawer cabinet).
--
73 de KTT
Bob Schwartz

parts
I was just at my local Radio Shack in Glendale, Wis. on Friday and they had a large drawer cabinet with resistors, LEDs, switches, etc.

Radio Shack ("You have questions, we have blank stares" ) is on the high end when it comes to shipping costs.
I'd suggest looking at jameco.com, digikey.com, mouser.com and the like.
Mike Tennent "IronPenguin" Operating Traffic Lights Crossbucks Special Effects Lighting http://www.ironpeng.com/ipe
Yes they do, with a cavaet. The parts are no longer hung from a wall, but are in a bin, at least in my local store. However if I may suggest, if you contemplate needing small parts, some companies to remember, even if they are not local. I believe they do have web sites. Digikey, Mouser, Jameco. They all aim at the electronics hobbyist. You can certainly get a better selection, and probably better prices. But do remember that these products will have to be shipped to you. I had to go to Newark Electronics (www.newarkinone.com) to get some T-1 white LED's. Paul
Frank Eva wrote:

FrankA.Rosenbaum wrote: ---They don't have many of any one item, and if you buy too many of it, they discountinue the parts. -------------------------------------------- Yep. This merchandising technique solves the problem of the sales people being too busy and cures the inventory replenishment headaches.
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Resources: Links to over 700 helpful sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore.html
Agreed! I am waiting for them to discontinue the 15v DC 1000ma wall wart. I have bought 5 of them in the last year for the club that I belong to. They are all in use on the layout powering tortoise motors.
Bill wrote:

-- Please note; return email address has changed. It is now snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net. Emails to Earthlink will be ignored.
The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale March 7, 2004, at the Macomb Community College Sports and Expo Center. Macomb County Michigan. Please visit our Web Site at: www.gvrr.org