Re: Bachmann USRA Heavy Mountains

Gene, I've got one with a Vandy tender. It runs extremely well and pulls well too. I don't have enough HO cars to really test this thing but it pulled about couple of dozen HO cars plus 11 On30 cars with out any effort. Bachmann's got another winner here. Bruce

I finally received my C&O class J-2 model from Bachmann. It is beautiful and > should pull a ton. The coal load is removable - so one could put real model > coal in the bunker and vary the amount, if one wants to. > The brakeman's steps on the rear of the tender don't come attached. Use CA - I > messed up and used liquid glue and screwed up a little. What I think to be the > blow-down line on the fireman's side seems off. In any event, there is a small > piece that is straight plastic, ending in a cone shaped figure lying in the > plastic tray with the locomotive. > The model seems correct for the very end, but through most of its history the > J-2 had polished pumps, not black. Also the engine number is not on the > smokebox front. > I have yet to try it with a real train. I think it will be awesome. > Gene > ABV61-1043.001.HCB >
Find "Skinny Dipping and Other Stories" > On the web at
or >
> and look for "Into Joy From Sadness" soon. > > > > >
Reply to
Bruce Favinger

The steps aren't attached to the tender because the C&O passenger tenders didn't have rear footboards.

Why did Bachmann include the steps? do you think they may have a C&O freight loco in the planning stages that would use the same tender?

Hmmm...........

Reply to
PEACHCREEK

I could go for that too, Dan.

Den

Reply to
Dennis E. Golden

I think having the rear tender footboard is a plus. They've got them on the long coal tender for the "regular" heavy Mountain as well. However, at least on the undecs, the tender steps came attached.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

What do you get if you take the boiler from a URRA Heavy Mountain, the mechanism from a Chinese QJ 2-10-2 and the tender from the C&O J-2? ;.)

Reply to
PEACHCREEK

Combo QJ-22 with fried rice and eggroll?

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman

One point is that they should have said "don't attach footboards." Has anybody heard a rumor that Bachmann is going to do a K-3a? I would think the Vandy could be used behind the USRA light Mallet, the C&O H-5. Apparently Bachmann didn't even think of that idea. Anyway, mine pulled seventeen freight cars up our helixes, one of which has a hump in it raising the grade to probably 4% at one point. Gene ABV61-1043.001.HCB

"Skinny Dipping and Other Stories" On the web at
or
and look for "Into Joy From Sadness" soon.

Reply to
STEAM GENE

The C&O H-5 never used a Vanderbilt tender. One H-4a loco did. The 16000 gallon Vanderbilt tenders were also used behind 2-8-2s, 4-6-2s, 2-10-2s, and

2-8-8-2s.

John Glaab Peach Creek Shops

Reply to
PEACHCREEK