Evolution Fury 2 chop saw

JS mentioned to me that these have been on special offer at Aldi for 90 squid - last weekend's special offer, but my local Aldi still had a
stack of them (one less now...)
These are the saws that we were discussing in an earlier thread that will cut wood, ferrous & non-ferrous metals. Haven't unpacked it yet, but if it works as well as others have indicated I may be pensioning off my benchtop bandsaw.
Regards, Tony

OK - its out of the box & installed in place of the bandsaw now. Nice touch is that they give you a free pair of safety goggles and a pair of earplugs - when cutting steel, both of these are advisable as the chips fly hot & fast. The cut ends are surprisingly cool but the chips are deep blue.
Footprint is smaller than the bandaw too, so looks like a winner on all fronts so far.
Regards, Tony
Tony Jeffree wrote:

The spec says it runs at 1475 RPM, how badly do the chips fly around?
Dave

They fly around very well ;-)
Seriously, they come off at a fair old lick - bounce off the wall behind the bench, etc. So even after a couple of test cuts there is a good peppering of dark blue chips on the bench and on the floor round about. I guess thats the only tangible advantage of the bandsaw that I have found so far.
Regards, Tony

What is the heaviest section you have tried it on Tony? I am interested and my Aldi has two in stock but I want it for bar type stock not hollow section.
Richard
On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 10:28:48 +0100, Richard Edwards

I haven't tried it on anything particularly heavy so far - 20mm MS for the trial I did yesterday. However, JS was using his on something rather meatier the other day - you'll have to wait for details from him as he is tied up with the Warwick show till the middle of next week.
Regards, Tony
.Thanks Tony!
Just been out and picked up the last one here in Newcastle.
Following your first remarks, I went onto the company website for the demo. Haven't unpacked it but it seems ideal for my purpose.
Thank you
Norm
On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 05:44:12 -0700 (PDT), ravensworth2674

I am still wavering. I definately need something other than my 3 hacksaws, BTW why do they put so much paint on a hacksaw blade these days? Just makes what should be an easy job hard <G>
I still feel that a bandsaw typically the 4-1/2 inch Warco would be better. Quieter, no need to stand there, no flying chips, vertical bandsaw option. OK it takes more space (which I have little of) but........
Any comments
Richard
On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 18:29:56 +0100, Richard Edwards

Axminster had them for 110 in Summer last year. They're cheap and nasty, but mine's cut quite a lot of steel since then. in sections from 20mm to 150mm.
Mark Rand RTFM
Mark Rand wrote:

Did you use a 4-1/2 inch bandsaw to cut the piece of 95mm EN24 you sent me?
If so Wow, I want one of those!!
-- Peter Fairbrother

Yes, albeit with a 6tpi blade.
I notice that Axminster currently want 200 quid for them. The assorted helpful traders at the Midlands show seemed to want 260!
Might be worth seeing if there are and Christmas offers...
Mark Rand RTFM
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 15:32:01 +0100, Richard Edwards

Aha - you want the one with the free offer of a flying pig...
Used mine on 20mm BMS. Went through it like butter. Blade looks untouched. Should have worn ear defenders. Should have fitted ear defenders to the baby 10 blocks away.
Pardon? Somebody say something?
Regards, Tony

Well 2 out of 3 is not bad <G> So the choices are 1 Evolution at 90 comes with ear defenders for me but not the rest of the road. 2 Bandsaw at 125 does not need ear defenders, slower 3 Continue to get my neighbor to chop bits up on his bandsaw, hoping that he continues to have PC problems that I can sort out which makes us even.
No 3 has it for the present.
Richard
Richard Edwards wrote:

> Just makes what should be an easy job hard <G>
A question I often ask myself, too.
<rare spelling rant> 'definitely', not 'definately', for chrissakes </rant>
--
Charles Lamont

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 00:35:04 +0100, Charles Lamont

<rare period of contrition> Charles thanks for that I most definitely will always spell "definitely" korrectly in the future. </contrition>
Richard
On or around Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:41:28 +0100, NoSpam

what diameter?
I think that answers my question about fitting a rage blade to the chopsaw here, which is I think 9" and runs at about 4000 rpm.
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 15:17:36 -0700 (PDT), ravensworth2674

Norman, in that case I apologise for appearing so terse, as I interpreted it as a rebuke for comparing the two.
Ive had the bandsaw just over 3 years now, and apart from junking the supplied chinese blade immediately, this will be the third blade I've put on it during that time. It's such a useful and versatile tool I don't think I could live without it now, even though it's probably the most uncared for piece of equipment in my workshop, and I suspect in many others too.
It's handy as a parting-off tool<G> - here it is cutting off a lump of 4" dia EN8 for a ball turner I made:
http://www.btinternet.com/~p.neill/Bandsaw_parting_tool.jpeg
And here it is cutting down that lump of pre-hardened stainless tooling plate down to size. This stuff is 16% chrome and supplied hardened to around 32-35 rockwell C:
http://www.btinternet.com/~p.neill/Tooling_plate_cut.jpg
I put the 12/14 varitooth blade on as I had to cut about 60 ft of 10mm dia 304 stainless for this job, and the normal 6/10 tooth blade would have been a bit coarse.
http://www.btinternet.com/~p.neill/PI_Rollers.jpg
I had to make up 50 sets of these rollers. The 304 stainless was the axle, around 8.5" long, the rollers were acetal, and the frame was also 304 stainless, laser cut then tigged together (not by me).
Whilst the finer blade was perfect for this job, I don't really use the bandsaw for much else under about 1/2", and I found it a bit slow on larger stock, so changed it out earlier than needed.
Regards
Peter
.Peter, Offence was not taken. In order to minimise my workshopp old age, health and size( the shed is getting smaller as well) I dumped my ageing 6X4" bandsaw. I got one of the abrasive thiings which melts everything- and was a complete wste of money. We all lose some of the time.
Digressing( but I hope someone elsae may benefit) I have had a long running battle with HSBC. Four and a half months on, the matter is still unesloved but we ended up travelling everywhere UKm Europe, you name it- without credit cards! We used electronic banking to clear Euro money purchases. Done by HSBC to a HSBC subsidiary- and we got blacklisted. Our gold cards went ---pouff for no reason and no cards were ordered. True, we have 50 and a crate of indifferent wine but it's blown up again. After I spoke to John S on the blower, both my debit and credit cards were junk. No.John is not to blame. He was the nicest thing that day(which says a lot) I was in an hotel with no money 275 miles from home and just enough coins to buy fuel. It was miserable. Well, the worm has turned. Here is the trick. I went into the offending branch- finally and I am a shareholder in HSBC with legal rights to raise the issue at HSBC's AGM -with the Press in attendance.
Apart from the dealing fees etc, the rest of my money is going to be worth something and I may get a divi or three.
One thing is certain- they can't even chuck me out.
The other good news is one of the cars. I prattled on about corrosion. I finally got 4 new alloys at heaven knows how much. I put a non corroded Merc alongside my rust bucket. I now have 2 new wings on it, plus 2 new doors and a new tailgate plus an almost complete respray. The car- I shudder to comment- is almost 7 years old and the bill- not mine is over another 7K.
So Peter, it may be time to read another page or so.
Oh, I got a new EMU for the Mini- price 950 plus the labour etc- on warranty.
One has to laugh- especially when one realises that I am well over 78- and past it!
Regards- be good
Norm