Re: Kato SD45 (HO) shell removal and Digitrax decoders

Thanks, that worked great! I was a little paranoid after my first attempt with an NW2 resulted in breaking the shell. I foolishly thought that following Kato's directions for the NW2 shell removal would prevent that, but at least I can replace that one for $15 ($10 for a replacement shell, $5 for shipping). On the other hand, I don't think the SD45 shell can be replaced, so I wanted to avoid a similar mistake.

Thanks again for your help.

That is actually quite easy. Hold the loco under the chassis with you left > hand (this applies to right-handed). Squeeze the shell over the rear truck > almost at the walkway, and pull the shell gently upwards. You will find that > you have released the two locking tabs at the rear end. If the front end of > the shell doesn't budge, squeeze the shell just behind the cab and you > should see the same result as at the other end. No hassle with removing > coupler boxes or anything else. > > Now for the decoder. Once yu have removed the shell, you will find that the > existing circuitboard is fitted with an 8-pin plug. Remove the jumpers, and > plug in your DH163IP. Put some double-sided tape on the underside of the > decoder, and tape the deocoder onto the frame just rear of the rear LED. > Make sure that the wires from the decoder do not lie on the LED, and replace > the shell, making sure the you do not jam any wires between the shell and > the frame. Push the shell onto the chassis and it will click back into > place. > > Good luck! > > Nicholas > > > > Hi, I'm trying to install DCC decoders and I have two questions: first, > how > > do you safely remove the shell from a (HO scale) Kato SD45? Second, for > you > > Digitrax experts, their web site lists two decoders for the SD45: the > > DH163K0 and the DH163IP. Which one is a better choice and why? In case it > > matters, the SD45's that I'll be installing decoders in are from the first > > (1997?) run. > > > > > >
Reply to
Bob Pittman