Re: Month of decision

You're wasting your time with these two, Steve. One isn't bright enough to understand the reasons for people's legitmate concerns, and the other is a hypocrite of the worst kind.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Hey idiot, those two things describe someone perfectly YOU!!!!!!!!

What an idiot you are.

Reply to
MrRathburne

Isn't there hope for the next generation coming up? My three-year old grandson is fascinated by trains, Thomas the Tank Engine in particular. I've taken him to some local railroad museums and model RR clubs and he's absolutely enthralled. Furthermore, there's plenty of other parents with their youngsters as well. My main challenge is to keep his little mitts from destroying my layout. I don't know if I should expect this early enthusiasm to disappear as he grows older, but I hope he (and the other children) will maintain his interest.

MrZ

Reply to
MrZaremba

Reply to
Corelane

Well, I got Trainz and I spent quite a few good hours mucking about with it, and even making my own layout designs. In fact I replicated my current HO and my 1:20.3 garden pike as they would be as I plan to have in the future and tried them out. The more I tinkered with Trainz, the more I got the burning desire to get out in the "Big Shed" and get modelling in the real dimension. I can honestly state that I have got more modelling done in the last few months than I would have otherwise.. (I was in one of those flat spots and needed inspiration.. Trainz afforded me that.) I can say that spending time on the 'net in general takes more modelling time than I'd spend on Trainz. But I have made some very nice hardcopy photo albums from the pics of the FS&M etc that I have saved from surfing. I dumped those that I wanted onto a mem card and took them to the photo processors.. soo much cheaper than printing them myself. I use them all the time out there when modelling.

Reply to
Andrew H

I hope you are correct, because I believe the hobby of model railroading offers so many different rewarding and enlightening experiences. From carpentry to electronics to artistic expression in scenery or backdrops there is so much to learn about and to do in this hobby.

I had 110 students (all classes combined, I teach 7th grade history) for the fall semester and none had any interest, that they would admit, in model railroading. I also made a point of asking students in the spring semester last year and received zero response. Could be just a coincidence, but I don't think so.

NMRA members have been regularly hearing from the leadership about declining NMRA membership and in particular the fall off in membership among younger people. These membership trends are very worrisome. One thing that some of the Piedmont Division members are doing is to work with local Boy Scout troups to assist scouts in earning the Model Railroading badge.

All of us can help to make sure that our hobby stays alive and well by talking with others about the hobby, joining in volunteer activities with the local NMRA, and giving friends and relatives the chance to see and operate on our layouts.

Paul McGraw

Reply to
Paul McGraw

Reply to