Re: Quiz: Is Siderodromophobia off topic?

Who can tell me if Siderodromophobia is off topic?

> > Terry

All my Diesels have siderods! Nosiderodsphobia is definitely on topic. :-)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

WHAT ! .... I've got Siderods where?

Well, give it to me straight, Doc!

(ouch!)

David. 8-x

Reply to
David F.

When did you become one of my Diesels??? In my collection:

- DRG V32.01 - prototype: an experimental 4-6-4 Diesel Pneumatic, 1200 horsepower built 1924-27, operated 1927-33. Used a standard steam loco chassis plus an ex-U-boat Diesel and compressor. Design problem was that the compressed air was dry while steam contains sufficient moisture to lubricate the steam cylinders.

- DRG VT858. - B'2' bogie railcar with jackshaft drive.

- Industrial 0-4-0 with jackshaft drive.

- "Schienen Zeppelin" - propeller driven railcar (actually BMW petrol aero engine). Achieved World rail speed record of 230km/hr in 1932.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Eh? Does that mean I needn't bother filling up the hydrostatic lubricator in future? :-)

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

OK, that was an oversimplification. The compressed air didn't circulate the oil sufficiently in comparison to the steam of the original design - hence it tended to sieze up. By 1929 they got it sorted.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Damn - so I have to keep filling the lubricator.

Seriously, only today I received a back issue of Locomotives International - #12 - and it features an article on V3201. What an extraordinary looking loco! Fascinating stuff. I seem to recall one or two other designs like this, as well. Who produces a model of it?

And to keep the record straight, I know that you are quite correct about some steam engines relying on the steam only to lubricate valves and cylinders.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

I see the GB Eurostar Train broke the Speed Record yesterday - 208 mph.

Does this mean another change of gear ratio is due, on the new models?

David. ;-))

Reply to
David F.

It was an odd co-operation between Trix and Märklin in 1995 before they combined. The body is Trix and the chassis is an altered Märklin/Hamo BR 78 (3 rail or 2 rail) It has only been offered in limited runs. (V3201, V120 001, blue (?), Set of V3201/V140/V188 and ditto in metallic silver) I bought a body as a spare part (friend at the Ma factory) and fitted it to a Fleischmann chassis.

Hell, I was reading the technical reports in German with only two years of highschool German and a dictionary. I'm sure the writer knew what lubrication there was on the original BR 78 cylinders but all he gave me were 50 odd letter long words in convoluted sentences describing the alterations made. I've fiddled with North British and Baldwin products, but strangely the details don't always match Esslingen Machinfabrik experimental designs!

Is the mag you mention worth chasing for V3201 details?

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Who makes a 1:1 worm drive?

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Guess I need the 1:1.609 version to get it into real numbers. :-)

Reply to
Gregory Procter

As you say,it sounds odd!

You'd find it interesting, I think. There's also a follow up article in a later issue which I have. I could scan them for you and send them.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

OK, but the Rubber Band is going to be hard to find!!

David ;-))

Reply to
David F.