Re: Spencer, NC Photo

Are you sure? That's a Shay. The last time I was there the motive power was a

2-8-0 in Southern passenger colors. Gene ABV61-1043.001.HCB
"Skinny Dipping and Other Stories" On the web at
or
and look for "Into Joy From Sadness" soon.
Reply to
STEAM GENE

Your visit must have been quite a while ago. The green 2-8-0 is long gone. The Shay is the current steamer, but not run very often. It was completely rebuilt in the Museum's own restoration shop. Most of the time, motive power for the short train ride is 1 of 3 diesels, a Southern FP7 (Green scheme), a GP30 (hi hood, black tuxedo scheme), or a N&W GP9 (red scheme).

Jim

STEAM GENE wrote:

Reply to
Jim Flynn

That's too bad. I visited Spencer in the early - mid 1990s. What happened to the 2-8-0? Gene ABV61-1043.001.HCB

"Skinny Dipping and Other Stories" On the web at
or
and look for "Into Joy From Sadness" soon.

Reply to
STEAM GENE

Spencer never had the green 2-8-0. I assume you are talking about 722, which was painted green only for excursion service.

She is in Dillsboro, NC being rebuilt for Great Smoky Mountain RR service. Progress has been slow, and reportedly she will return to service eventually as an oil-burning black steam locomotive.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Bostian