Returning to Hobby got questions about locos - HO

marknewton wrote:

Erm, I forgot about Kato's Japanese range. Now if they would build a USRA Pacific or Consolidation... Or a Lima Superpower 4-8-4, which could be offered with varied details to match several of the roads that bought them. Sigh....
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:13:09 -0400, Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

All of which are already available - how about a non-Belpaire 4-4-2, or a Yellowstone, or a Wabash P-1 Hudson?
--
Steve

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Sure, Kato makes only diesels, but so what? They still make the best. The Proto 2000 steam locomotives would rate a 10 in my book if they had Kato drive-trains.
Re: prices.
I used to buy cheap locos, but all I ended up with was two or three pieces of junk where I could have had one high quality model. It's taken me a while to realise this, but life is too short to put up with crap.
Steve Caple wrote:

Yes, they do.
http://www.katomodels.com/product/nmi/ho_d51.shtml
They also make a number of steam lcos in N scale, including a USRA heavy 2-8-2.
Cheers,
Mark.
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 08:09:19 +1000, marknewton wrote:

1. Is it really HO 1:87.1, or is it HOj 1:80? 2. Whatever version of, HO it is hardly a USRA pattern.
--
Steve

Steve Caple wrote:

HOj.
No, it's a JNR D51. I can tell the difference. :-)
The USRA 2-8-2 is part of their N scale range.
http://www.newhallstation.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/26_27/products_id/519
Cheers,
Mark.
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:30:07 +1000, marknewton wrote:

Well, duh! But which scale is it?
--
Steve

Steve Caple wrote:

The Japanese 2-8-2 is HOj.
The USRA 2-8-2 is N.
(I did mention all this in my previous posts.)
Cheers,
Mark.
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 07:35:12 +1000, marknewton wrote:

Actually, you said "No, it's a JNR D51.", which I knew, or at least that it was Japanese prototype if not the class.
--
Steve

Steve Caple wrote:

I don't wish to get into an argument over this, but my initial post in this thread was as follows:
">>>Steve Caple wrote:
>>On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:20:24 -0400, Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:
>>Kato: 10
>>Kato makes models of steam engines?
Yes, they do.
http://www.katomodels.com/product/nmi/ho_d51.shtml
*They also make a number of steam locos in N scale, including a USRA heavy 2-8-2.*
Cheers,
Mark."
Emphasis added by me.
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:45:06 +1000, marknewton wrote:

I'm not looking for a fight either; I merely wanted to know if it was 1:87 or 1:80, and, at least with my O/S and browser settings and being unable to read Japanese anyway, I can't see any sign whether it is HOj or HO.
Not to mention that dome looks like a goiter. <g>
--
Steve

Steve Caple wrote:

HOj.
Yeah, maybe. JNR might be an acquired taste to some, but Ir eckonm they look quite nice.
Cheers,
Mark.
OP:
Forgot one more. Go to atlasrr.com and download "Right Track Software", a free planning tool based on Atlas track. It's not to be compared to the more flexible CAD programs or 'pencil and wrapping paper', but it's a good way of playing with "track sections" and figuring out layout designs.
Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and a 3-legged table.
snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu wrote in news:1191010847.896168.314270@ 22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

Yep, got that already, too.
Frank
Steve Caple skriver:

Thay make some European models, which is allways real H0 We have one ETA 150, tested here bye MIBA (German mrr magazine)
http://www.miba.de/testen/kath0515.htm
Klaus
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

This is not a bad rating list. But it tends to ignore the most important specification of any product, the price. For a price, many things can be had, good paint, smooth quiet running, exquisite detail, prototype fidelity, your favorite road name, DCC and sound, many more, sometimes all features together, sometimes just a few. For instance the widely admired brass locomotives come with no paint and mostly run like junk despite the lofty prices. The old blue box Athearns run well, have adequate paint, adequate detail, reasonable prototype fidelity and were dirt cheap. The newer Athearn Genesis line are much nicer models, but at three times the price of the older cruder blue box locomotives. You will be happy with anything that looks right to you. It's not like buying a car where you care about resale value, prestige, gas mileage and frequency of repair records. These are models, and all they have to do is look well running on your rails. The industry has a good warrentee program which protects you from the occasional unit that dies young. In many cases the maker will replace a defective model no questions asked. So, go ye forth with a light heart to the friendly local hobby shop and buy what ever seems good to you and enjoy running it.
David Starr

Excellent. Thanks. But the question regarding electric motors in the cab? Is this still common? Do new IHCs have this? The Bachmann's obviously don't but it's hard to tell from pictures unless it's turned just right.
How about Mantua old vs new? Someone further down mentioned they can be had inexpensively on eBay and that they are solid smooth runners.
I have a old Varney 0-4-0T that I got from my grandfather's trains after he passed. I'm trying to restore it, found a place called yardbird Trains that seems to have lotsa parts for the Varneys and other older kits. The motor actually runs good but the pickups are shot and the valve gear is missing. I think I'm going to assign it to the MOW crew when it's done.
The motor in the cab thing just bugs me, I'll look the other way on the Varney but newer stuff should have cabs.
Frank
Gray Ghost wrote:

Modern can motors are much more powerful than the old motors, so a good quality Machima or Sagami would fit in the space and leave room for a boiler backhead. Torque is basically proportional to the diameter of the armature so you'd want a short, large diameter can motor. The Varney isn't rare or collectable enough to warrent leaving totally original, so you might as well upgrade it.
Greg.P.

Interesting. I've got NWSL bookmarked and I'm going to print out some of thier brochure/catalog pages and sut down with what I've got and see what I can do.
Frank
Gray Ghost wrote:

Let me know how you get on!