reversing unit - automatic switches

Hi,

I started laying my track a few days ago and all is going well. I decided on H0 and my layout has three sections;

4 * 8 4 * 5 1.5 * 7 connecting the two above sections. It looks something like the following, where the connecting span is flush to one side.

||||||||_______|||||

The larger section will be industrial with a turntable in the middle. The smaller section will be a small town.

Currently, I have two main belts that go across the sections that make best use of the space as to allow for long trains. I have switches that connect the rails at various places, especially in the straight,

7 foot connecting span. I plan on laying one more inner section to function as a reversing loop. Possibly a double loop, like a dumbel if I can fit it around the turntable, otherwise something more like a lollipop.

My question: I have the automatic reversing mechanism for the polarity, can I also automatically reverse the switch? I am very new to this, so maybe I have it wrong. Example scenario, the train is approaching the Y-switch, I toggle it to have the train move to the right through the loop. Once past the switch, I need to toggle it to the left for the train to come back through the Y without derailing. Is that correct? I'd like to have two or three trains running simultaneously at somepoint without having to supervise.

Thanks. Tony

Reply to
Tony

Charles Kimbrough

Thanks, Charles. I could not find anything on the web related to automatic switches by Circatron, however. Can you point me to a web link, or a vendor that sells these?

Thanks.

Reply to
Tony

Try this at Walther's (I searched for Circuitron) :

KTØT

Dear Tony, You can use a spring switch and get around all the electronics. Just install a light spring to hold the switch in one position. The train coming from the point end will automatically take one route, then go around the loop, and its wheels will push the points over when it enters the main again. For HO the spring has to be very light, or the train will derail instead of moving the points.

I have tried this with rubber bands. The tension has to be just barely enough to hold the points against the stock rail, and the cars have to be weighted properly.

Cordially yours, Gerard P.

Reply to
Gerard Pawlowski

Reply to
Charles Kimbrough

Reply to
Charles Kimbrough

Here is a circuit that should do what you need except that the train travels in the opposite direction each time it enters the loop.

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Paisley