Rivarossi motors

Anyone know of a source here in U.S. for a replacement motor for an old Rivarossi H0 Krauss-Maffei diesel, or for inexpensive replacement ball
bearings for it?
snipped-for-privacy@toast.net wrote:

Rivarossi seemed to alter mechanisims quicker than packaging, but if yours is like mine (central motor - cardan shaft - tower gearbox on one bogie - gears to axles - cardan shaft between bogies - etc) then you just toss the Rivarossi motor where it will never be seen again (keep the universals from the motor shaft!) Mount a new motor such as a Sagami (or anything chunky, it has to be better than the Rivarossi) using odd bits of Plastruct and silicon sealant and fit the universal onto the motor shaft. That fitting is the difficult bit, because more than likely the shafts will be different diameters. Probably the replacement motor will be larger than Rivarossi's, so the universal will need opening out. If you don't know how, then ask. Your local hobby shop will probably know someone who can do it for you.
Greg.P.
snipped-for-privacy@toast.net wrote:

The only replacements you'll find are in old Rivarossi locomotives. Rivarossi hasn't used that old motor for quite a while. AHM imported them, so when you search for these old locos on eBay, you should also take a look at AHM locos.
Good luck.
"Wolf K." wrote:

Rivarossi dropped the ball bearing motors in anything I'm aware of around 1960. Much the same motor continued, but with plain bearings from then on.
Greg.P.
snipped-for-privacy@toast.net wrote:

You might want to look at NorthWest Shortline.
www.nwsl.com
Give them a phone call (number is on the web site) (Area Code is 360 IIRC - US Pacific time zone) if the really really extensive on line catalog overwhealms you.
NWSL probably has a good can motor rplacement and great gears and worms.
The Rivarossi mechanism may need a fine tuning.
jJim McLaughlin wrote:

The Rivarossi mechanism may need a fine dumping.
Greg.P.

Greg and others...appreciate your input...despite being forewarned (and after 40 years fixin' up H0, I should have known better) I foolishly took apart the motor and found the ball bearings have a mindset of their own and I lost half of them. Other sources advised me that the exact number need be installed else motor will not run smoothly. Checked one site that sells machine tools & parts etc and for 1 (ONE) 1 mm stainless steel bearing they wanted almost $16.00 or 10 tungsten carbide ones for $16.50.
I may just have another icon for my display case. :)
Ray H.

Thank you, Anthony...looks fine and 25 for $2.15 was a lot more palatable than other prices I had found. If that doesn't work, at least the "investment" was minimal.