Semi-OT - BNSF happenings

Two items that might be of interest.

We were driving down a street that parallels the BNSF mainline just east of Spokane and saw a local freight with about 10-12 cars - and a caboose! Been a while. No idea why, since BNSF got rid of them many years back. And it was a BNSF caboose.

BNSF built a fueling facility a few miles over the Idaho border from Spokane. It opened September 1st. Since it was over the aquifer that provides all of Spokane and surrounding area water, there was considerable controversy over it. The plans were modified to make it impossible for any pollution to get to the aquifer. I believe the engineering firm said chances were "infinitesimal". Article in todays paper - it leaked! Into the ground from a buried PVC pipe which apparently had no second containment layer. Didn't even take 4 months for the "infinitesimal" chance to occur.

BNSF doesn't know if the break was recent or as old as 3+ months. So we don't know how much leaked, the exact composition of the effluent, or how far it penetrated. Test wells are now being dug.

It was a pipe carrying oily waste water instead of straight diesel, so maybe we'll be lucky this time. But BNSF and their engineering firm really have egg on their faces.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Awwwww don't be too hard on their engineering firm, I mean after all they ARE engineers. Seems most engineers I worked over the years hadn't the common sense that OUR MAKER gave a crowbar. At least BNSF hasn't asked for royalties on decals like uncle poo-poo has. I guess the CSX has resorted to that "practice" as well. merry Christmas all!

John

Reply to
John Franklin

Probably a "shoving platform", a place for crew to stand while making long reverse moves.

Reply to
Cheery Littlebottom