Soundtraxx decoders

I plan to convert some locos such as Bachman Decapods to Soundtraxx over the next few months.

Naturally, if a converted loco is placed on a DC layout, there would be no way to make sound functions work, unlike a Broadway Ltd.

But my question is: will it damage the decoder? If not, will basic DC motor functions still work?

Most DCC decoders can manage, but Soundtraxx sez theirs cannot. This seems to be unknown to some dealers and contradicted by some owners, so I am asking for more feedback.

The problem could always be solved by installing a DPDT switch, but one could still blow an expensive decoder by just being careless, if Soundtraxx is not overstating things. What are your experiences?

Hal

Reply to
Hal Greenlee

Charles Kimbrough

Reply to
Jon Miller

Reply to
Charles Kimbrough

Thanks Charles and Jon

I want to convert a number of Spectrum, P2K, Athearn (and possibly some brass) steamers already owned to DCC/sound.

I might have occasion to want to run some of these on older DC layouts, but can live without it if necessary.

I'll start with the plug-n-play, maybe just leave the brass as is.

Too bad QSI decoders like Broadway uses are not available for other locos. Broadway told me they have had many inqueries on the subject, and may offer them somewhere down the road.

Regards

Hal

Reply to
Hal Greenlee

Hal

Soundtraxx has just anounced a new line of decoders that does indeed operate on DC. Sems to be a direct answer to QSI but the specs look a lot better.

My suggestion is to wait till these new decoders are out and we get the initial user reviews. I expect they will be rather good.

--------------------------- Stan Ames snipped-for-privacy@attbi.com

DCC Evangelist, DCC Book co-author, married to a DCC manufacturer rep Home page with Disclosure Statement:

Stan Ames

Stan is right about the new Soundtraxx sound decoders and we have been discussing them on the sound group. You might go to some of the DCC mail-order sites as there is some discussion of the features. This site for example has a good listing;

The name of the decoder is DSS1000 or nicknamed "Tsunami". The information so far is this but when Soundtraxx puts the data on their web site we will know better. Price range seems to be identical to the DSD150 but with a lot more features.

--Tsunami will work at a slightly reduced functionality on DC.-- What this means will only be answered when the manual is available.

Reply to
Jon Miller