Stirling locomotives?

I know that some modelers have built stirling engine (hot air powered- not steam) locomotives, and it suddenly occurred to me that back in the early days of steam that someone may have designed and used a stirling powered locomotive to avoid the dangers of the boiler and need for constantly loading on water. I saw a couple references to a british stirling engine that used steam, but that is all I've found. Does anyone know if this type of power was ever used, or was it too weak for the task?

Reply to
3D

I think your references are to Patrick Stirling who was the son of the Rev. Robert Stirling who invented the Stirling cycle engine. Patrick Stirling was Locomotive Superintendent for the Great Northern Railway where he designed several locomotives, perhaps the most famous of which were the

4-2-2 Stirling Singles. See
Geezer
Reply to
Geezer