Toys or Models?

Isn't that just a little ridiculous? I saw a beautiful model of the U.S.S. Enterprise (CVN) at the Smithsonian a few years back. It was 6' long and took years to assemble as it was all scratch built. But, because it is a model, it is therefore a "toy"? I don't think so. Or how about architecture models? Are they "toys"?

toy (toi), n. 1. an object for a child to play with. 2. something unimportant. 3. a small article of little real value.

Since my trains are 1). not for children, 2) important to me, and 3) worth quite a bit of money, I'd have to say that my trains are not toys. Now, it's possible that your trains are toys to you, even if we have the same identical models, because you feel that they are either 1) for children, 2) are unimportant or 3) of little real value. Either way, it has no affect on whether I feel my trains are toys or not.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

Can you hold them in your hand? Yep, they are toys. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

A miniature train Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

So, anything you hold in your hand is a toy? Like guns or knives? LOL The funny thing is, the "can you hold it in your hand?" is actually not part of the definintion of the word "toy". It's implied value is what makes it a "toy", not it's size. If you feel differently, then complain to Webster... ;-)

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

Actually, the original quote "what is that? A toy in your hand?" came from Jerry's ex-girlfriend after observing him in the washroom.

Reply to
wannand

I've got a great idea, Jerry. Why don't you go troll a different group!

Don't bother responding, you just went in the bozo bin.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Wolf isn't outside the hobby. Neither am I. In fact, at the last show me and another vendor were chuckling over how seriously some folks take the hobby. There are lots of folks in the hobby who agree that, at the end of the day, they really are only toys.

I have lots of toys. My $1,500 triathlon bike, my computer and all the associated games I buy for it are toys. My motorcycle was a toy. My '67 fastback Mustang was a toy.

Toys are great. I love playing with toys. The one with the most toys when they die wins.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin" Operating Traffic Lights Crossbucks Special Effects Lighting

Mike Tennent

Your "logic" makes no sense. I didn't have any particular reaction to your initial post, but watching your replies since then, you seem to be digging a deeper and deeper hole for yourself.

Let's see. If you can hold it in your hand it's a toy. If it's too big to hold in your hand but still smaller than the real thing it's a "miniature". Are you being serious, or are you trolling? (I honestly don't know - I haven't been in this group long enough to know if you're a regular or not.)

Now, let's say I can lift 100 pounds with my hand, but you can only lift 50. Let's say I have one of these "miniature" train cars, and it weighs 75 pounds. Does that mean that for me it's a toy, whereas for you it's a miniature? Do you see the problem with your criteria for judging whether or not something is a toy?

What about miniature ships on display at various maritime museums? Toys too? Most of these were put there by guys holding them in their hands...

There's nothing, as I see it, inherently wrong with *either* the words "toy" or "miniature". Toys are things to be played with, and we all play with our trains. Similarly, miniatures are "things diminutive in size" according to my dictionary, which also applies to many model trains (though probably not the larger ones you seem to think of as such). But the meanings you seem to attach to them just don't make any sense, and the way you're *using* the word "toy" seems to imply that you don't understand the difference between a poorly detailed and/or cheaply made child's plaything and an adult miniature.

I consider my trains adult toys; I don't think there's anything wrong with that word. But there's an obvious difference between what people call "models" here and what I used to play with as a kid, and it seems like you're trying to deny that difference exists.

Reply to
Jeff Williams

Here is my 2¢:

If someone calls your hobby playing with toys and this bothers you it is probably in someway a guilty conscience (of sorts). Psych 101 says maybe you feel guilty deep down that you FEEL you are playing with toys??? I personally think this is why some of us get crazy about accuracy and look down on those who do not, it is their way of justifying that they are not playing with toys but they are operating/building models. Bottom line, our trains are toys AND they are models. If you built only static historically accurate displays you MAY be able to sell it to me that they are Models and not Toys. As soon as you make them move they are toys (IMHO) because you are now "playing" with them.

There is no reason this should bother you. I consider my Ducati one of my toys, as I do my trains, etc.. In the end I use them for my enjoyment.... The only real difference is what is a kids toy and what is an adult toy! Model railroading can and is both. It is not like you are playing with dolls (not that there is anything wrong with that).

In short, enjoy what you are doing and don't try to justify it to others!

Reply to
Jason

No, no, no, Only the train toys count. The one with the most trains wins.

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

We can't have that now, can we? It runs counter to the view cherished by the 'model railroading is fun crowd'.

Ah, more irrefutable wisdom, and from a bumper sticker no less.

The one with the most toys when they die is simply dead.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Nope, you couldn't be more wrong, at least in my case. A "toy" is, again, something meant for children, something that is unimportant, or something that has little value. Period. I think we can all agree that high-end train models like Genesis, P2K, Atlas Master, any brass, etc., are not meant for children. And I think we can all agree that these same high-end models are expensive, and that many of us have thousands of $$$ invested in this hobby. Therefore, the model trains have real value, monetarily if nothing else. That leaves us with whether it's important or not. If model railroading is *not* important to you, than it is a "toy". If it *is* important to you, then it is not a "toy". Understand the difference? What gets me is that by calling my trains "toys", other people are making a judgment on what I find important. That is what "bothers" me about that label.

Not me. I "get crazy" about accuracy because that's part of the challenge. Just like competitive people who play golf, raquetball or tennis that constantly drive themselves to be a better player, I am always trying to improve by model making abilities. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I don't. But the challenge of doing something "right" is what drives my interest. If the results impress other people, fine. If they don't, oh well.

I play with my models. There's nothing wrong with that. I do not play with my "toys". Implying that I do means that you find my models to be meant for children, unimportant, or of little value.

Fine. If you consider that your trains and your Ducati are either meant for children, unimportant, or of little value, then more power to you. But please don't tell me that my trains are meant for children, unimportant, or of little value (IOW, don't call my trains "toys").

Just because you play with something does not make it a toy. You can play with guns and knives for example, but they are hardly toys.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

You are close to right. My position is that many here are offended if they have their trains called toys. You have the right attitude. Your models are adult toys. I agree, many here do not. I don't understand that Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Because I agree that model railroading is playing with toys I agree with you. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Jerry's got a toy he can hold in his hand, but he has to use tweezers and a magnifying glass....

Jeff Sc. Burger King, Ga.

Reply to
not.fishplate

If you permit me to go off on a "dirty mind" tangent, that statement takes on a new meaning when applied to a certain part of a man's anatomy. :-)

(Sorry...I'm being silly tonight.)

Dieter Zakas Johnson, NJ

Reply to
Hzakas

I may be mistaken, but I *believe* the items we use in our hobby are classified as "toys" from commercial and transporation points of view.

As many of you are aware, I'm a freight conductor. Many times I've gotten a stack train, and when I look at the waybills, I occasionally see that a given container is carrying "toys." However, the paperwork doesn't elaborate; it could be a bunch of stuff from Mattel, board games from Hasbro, or Life-Like's latest P2K whatever.

Dieter Zakas Toyland, NJ

Reply to
Hzakas

He who dies with the most trains is still dead.

Don

Reply to
Trainman

Another one of the sexually challenged

Reply to
Jerry

You are wrong. When you are holding a gun or knife, it is not a toy because it is the real thing. If you are holding a Mattel gun, it is a toy because it is not the real thing. Same true of trains. I will call your models toys because you play with them. Your stance that they are expensive and not meant for children is a crock. At what age to you cut off children. Plenty of kids have model railroads. By your analogy their layout is a toy and yours is a model. That is a bunch of, well, you know. Go play with your toys Paul Jerry

Reply to
Jerry