Trains carrying rails

I was back there again today, and I counted how many rails across the cars carry...it's 8 rails wide by 6 rails high...so that's 48 pieces of 1/4 mile long rail.

So that's 12 miles of rail per train, or enough rail for 6 miles of track.

Reply to
bladeslinger

I doubt seriously that it's off the Norfolk Southern system. As a general rule, M.O.W. cars are not interchangable, because most of them violate the 40 year rule.

Freight cars over 40 years old have to be removed from revenue service, and can only be used within the system for company materials moves, and can not be interchanged with other railroads. I'm betting the welded rail trains fall under this rule too.

Reply to
bladeslinger

At what per yard? 120#? Hefty load.

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

I would imagine it was 132 pound rail. That's standard for mainline these days.

Reply to
bladeslinger