Ugh! Spade Bit casualty of model railroading

So I'm drilling holes for my modular switching layout. The wood appears to be sound and intact, when all of a sudden.
GRAB!!!
there was a nail embedded within the wood--zero sign on the outside of the board.
Thankfully, I was using my 9.8 Makita and NOT my Hole Hawg . . and also that I was using a $3 spade bit and NOT the $22 auger.
"Yeah, the auger makes a better hole, but this is Just to hold the mods together and give a place for wiring . . . speed is more important than it looking clean."
Um . .so I guess I'm ready to lay track now. :)

A real unusual wood situation: My dad is a cabinet maker by trade (when I was growing up I had the best benchwork in the whole state); one day I was helping him cut some oak on the table saw and the blade struck a bullet embedded in the wood! ____ Mark
Mark Mathu spake thus:

"Back-country oak"?
At least lead won't hurt the blade.
--
The only reason corrupt Republicans rule the roost in Washington
is because the corrupt Democrats can't muster any viable opposition.

Yeah... but it still scared the shit out of my dad and me - at least for the moment. I'm sure that saw blades were the last of my dad's concern -- if I recall correctly he blurted out a few phrases which would have made the crew of Apollo 10 blush.
Harming the blade was sure at the bottom of my list when it happened. Saw blades can always be sharpened.
Uh Charles:
I think they prefer to be called african american bits nowadays. :-)
Eric
Um! Does this mean that the sharp edged plates on the ends of the trails of field artillery pieces that dig into the ground when the piece fires can no longer be called 's....s'? What's the world coming to? Regards, Bill.
message

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 18:55:36 +1100, William Pearce wrote:

A few years ago a local woman active in black community affairs objected when a speaker before the city council used the expression "call a spade a spade". Pointing out that it dates at LEAST to Shakespeare's time [he used it, and probably didn't make it up] and in the minds of sane persons neither had nor has any racial component, did not sway her from her umbrage.
--
Steve

A nun was complaining to her Mother Superiour about the language the construction crew that was working next door was using. The Mother said that they were simple, God fearing men who simply called a spade a spade. The nun interupted and said, No, Mother, they don't. They call it a F$%%^&g shovel.
There are people who will find offence in the most innocent of things. That is their problem.
--
Please support the following train meets if you can
Gratiot Valley ( www.gvrr.org ) in Macomb Michigan in March and November

Why not write what the boy actually said? Are you afraid of offending someone?
No, I am not. This is a family group, and I did not feel that the actual word was necessary. Did you understand it or did you need someone to explain it to you?
--
Please support the following train meets if you can
Gratiot Valley ( www.gvrr.org ) in Macomb Michigan in March and November

It sounds like you were afraid of offending families & children.

Yeah, explain this part: You wrote "There are people who will find offence in the most innocent of things. That is their problem," yet still posted something which required "F$%%^&g" in the punch line.
So yeah, explain it to us. ___ Mark

I think just about everyone understands it an you should too. Why make an issue out of something like this?
Jim

I don't see the purpose using a joke like that to make the point "There are people who will find offence in the most innocent of things. That is their problem." Explain.

Joke? If there was a joke I missed it. I read the first few posts in this thread and then dropped out of it for lack of further interest. I happened to click on it again by accident and read the post with your comments. My statement and question was based on the text in that post. This brings up a thing about posting -- all too often posters don't include the necessary information to put what they are saying in proper context. Those who haven't had access or read all previous post may be out in the cold. When someone's post comes into my computer as part of a world distribution I consider it to be fair game and if it doesn't properly represent itself that's their problem, not mine.
OK, I've explained -- now it's your turn to to do the same per my question.
By the way the whole quote that I commented on is:

Jim

The joke was the one where the nun referred to a spade as "... a F$%%^&g shovel."
The follow-up comment was "There are people who will find offence in the most innocent of things. That is their problem." I'm not sure what point was trying to be made in the follow-up.
Thanks for the reference to the original post -- I missed that. I'm use to seeing a small snip of pertinent text as a reference. My statement about "everyone understanding it" was in reference to how symbols are used in place of offensive language which I thought was the basis of your question. Evidently the original poster thought the same and gave you a pretty blunt response. I see now you were questioning his statement -- "There are people who will find offence in the most innocent of things. That is their problem." Not sure why he said that either, probably a little cushioning from those that might be offended by that kind of joke.
Jim

Hah, hah! That part I got -- I work in the construction industry, so I'm also very aware of the *actual* words that a contractor would use to describe a spade!!!

And that's the strange part... there was a follow-up about people taking offense an how that is their problem.

If you felt "left in the cold," but also didn't bother to follow the reference to the full message, that's your problem not ours.
Mark, It took me long enough (till noon today) to realize that you proved my point. Thanks.
--
Please support the following train meets if you can
Gratiot Valley ( www.gvrr.org ) in Macomb Michigan in March and November
Last winter, while drilling wire passage holes in the layout I hit a screw. I was drilling through 2 1x4s and the screw had come through from the other side. I was just being dumb and didn't check. This winter I'm checking every time I pick up the drill. Actually, I was really smart. I drilled all the holed before I built up the layout (new layout this year).
Unfortunately, the bit was a forstner type bit. Brought back life with a file and moto-tool. The exit wound with the spade bit is a splinter producing mess. The Forstner(sp?) is much more civilized:-)
--
Dana Miller