US exports

Salvé To my suprise I found out that some early US diesel locos were exported to the UK, apart from the ww2 wartime steam locos I knew of the Midland Railways import before ww1 of some (shortlived) baldwin steam loco's, I am just wondering apart from the wartime loco's were any other steam locos exported to europe , during peace time that is, preferably pre ww2? Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

Baldwin had an export drive to Europe around 1899. The K.Bay.Sts.E. bought two Atlantics and two 2-8-0 locos, all Vauclain compounds. One 2-8-0 remained in Germany and the other three went to France as reparations. Due to the arrival of these locos Maffei began to build locos with bar frames rather than plate frames. There were other sales amongst the various French railways at the same time, but I don't have details to hand.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

In the early part of the century, Baldwin (and Schenectady) did a version of their standard export small 2-6-0s for several British companies (the Midland, the Great Northern and the Great Central).

These were obsolete designs, not to the standard of their current domestic products, and weren't very successful with humongous water and coal consumption compared with their British counterparts.

They didn't last very long.

There were also a few oddities like the Lynton and Barnstaple narrow gauge BAldwin 2-4-2 tank engine.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Spain got 14 Pacifics from ALCo in 1920, 15 Consolidations from Baldwin in 1920 also, in 1917-18 ALCo supplied 52 2-8-2s, that's all that I can find for that country. These locos were probably obtained from the States due to the Spanish not being able to get supplies from German builders at the time. All above were 5'-6" gauge. Finland got steam locos from the U.S.A. 4-4-0's from Baldwin in 1872-73; quite a large number of 2-6-0s, 4-6-0s and 2-8-0s from Baldwin in 1898-1900. These all were 5'-0" gauge, got when Finland was part of the Russian empire. Czarist Russia itself got locos from the U.S.A in the 19th. Cent., then Soviet Russia got a couple of large (2-10-4 and 2-10-2 I think) locos from the States in the late 1920's which they used as the basis for their later steam designs. No doubt other countries had steamers from the U.S.A., checking is not easy. Regards, Bill.

  • "Beowulf" wrote in message news:buHod.17136$ snipped-for-privacy@nntpserver.swip.net...
Reply to
William Pearce

Finland is interesting, because it was probably the last place to use wood burners, including some considerablty more modern than were used in the USA.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

In the Uk Foster Yeoman were always a EMD shop. Apparently two ALCO shunters ended up in the UK for a mining company.

As to Australia, Balwin was the main US player in steam days but they were only had bit player status compared to Beyer Peocock as well as other British and local builders.

For all those interested in American Steam locos that ended up in Australia there is a book called American Steam on Australian Rails written by David Bourke and published though both ARHS/NSW and Indiana University Press.

Reply to
Greg Rudd

salvé Christopher A. Lee skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I was in Finland c82 and the conductor went past me carrying a pile of wood, several times, finally curiosity got the better of me and I asked him what the wood was for, it seemed the carriage was heated by a wood fire........, which explained the smell of wood smoke through half of Finland :) the average speed of the train which was pulled by a small diesel was about

30-40mph this was however winter with LOTS of snow Beowulf
Reply to
Beowulf

William Pearce skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:41a4422a$0$12900$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au. ..

I seem to remember that Czarist Russia was a big market for US steam, I know the steam locos I've seen pix of from Finland are a curious mix of US and British features, rather pretty actually :) and yes checking is difficult, thankfully there are places like this where people know arcane bits of knowledge :) Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

I believe there is a divable wreck off New Jersey full of export steam engines?

Jim Stewart

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Chasing up some more U.S. loco exports to Europe gave for France: 50 Pacifics in 1922 for the Paris-Orleans Rly., maker not given but U.S.A; also for P-O in 1908, 30 de Glehn Pacifics built by ALCo to French drawings and in 1918 150 2-8-2s from ALCo, based on a design of the Etat (State) Rly. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

According to my copy of the "Greek railways" book, the American-built steam locomotives that circulated in Greece were classified as:

(class with Greek letters, axles, builders, construction year, weight and horsepower).

Class G401-420, 1' D 1' h2, ALCo, built 1915, 84.4 tons, 1100 hp. Later got reclassified as Ia701-720

Class Da51-70, C 2nt, Davenport, Vulcan, Porter (ex-USATC tank locos), built 1943-1944, 46 tons, 730 hp.

Class Thg (Theta-gamma) 521-537, 1' D h2, Baldwin, ALCo, Lima (ex-USATC S-160), built 1942-1944, 73 tons, 1200 hp

Class Thg 551-560, 1' D h2, ALCo, built 1944, (ex-USATC S-160, oil burners), built 1944

Class Thg 571-595, 1' D h2, Baldwin, ALCo, Lima (ex-USATC S-160, oil burners, ex-FS class 736). built 1942-1945

Class Lg 991-998, 1' E h2, Baldwin, built 1947, 90 tons, 1700 hp (oil burner)

Metre gauge: Class D101-D108, 1' D 1' h2, Vulcan, built 1947, 55.4 tons, 875 hp (ex-USATC S-118, later reclassified as Da7101-7108)

I didn't add in the list the really obscure steam locomotives in industrial/tram/military systems, neither diesel locomotives

Regards from Athens, Nick Fotis

Reply to
Nick Fotis