Using joint compound over hydrocal?

I ran out of hydrocal and still lack about two thin coats. Can I use joint compound instead. They are both manufactured at National Gypsum.
I already have one coat of hydrocal down.
I use joint compound for everything except castings. No problems.
crotalus wrote:

Yes, but how do you deal with swtich-points/throwbars?
...Can't sleep. Clown'll eat me...
snipped-for-privacy@juno.com says...

Why not try some of the joint compund and see what kind of results you get? That is how lots of model railroad techniques get developed.
I've used it over hardshell without any problems. Use thin coats because thick ones will crack when they dry.
George

I've had no problems using drywall over hydrocal. In fact my SOP is to lay down the first layer using hydrocal, then finish up with a layer or two of drywall compound. I will add a small amout of water to the compound to thin it. Then apply it with a brush. Rock castings get stuck into the first layer and the second is used to blend.
--
Just my $0.02 worth. Hope it helps
Gordon Reeder