Using joint compound over hydrocal?

I ran out of hydrocal and still lack about two thin coats. Can I use joint compound instead. They are both manufactured at National Gypsum. I already have one coat of hydrocal down.

Reply to
crotalus

Charles Kimbrough

Why not try some of the joint compund and see what kind of results you get? That is how lots of model railroad techniques get developed.

Reply to
Ken Rice

I've used it over hardshell without any problems. Use thin coats because thick ones will crack when they dry.

George

Reply to
George

"crotalus" wrote in news:1124719623.279391.302090 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

I've had no problems using drywall over hydrocal. In fact my SOP is to lay down the first layer using hydrocal, then finish up with a layer or two of drywall compound. I will add a small amout of water to the compound to thin it. Then apply it with a brush. Rock castings get stuck into the first layer and the second is used to blend.

Reply to
Gordon Reeder

Yes, but how do you deal with swtich-points/throwbars?

Reply to
Drew Bunn