Vertical tracks

Is anybody aware of any model rail systems that include vertical tracks, at a 90 degree angle to the horizontal? I would like to make a track that runs along my the top of my book cases and down the sides.

I understand that I will probably have to include some sort of "hill" to climb at each corner (so it goes out, around and back in), since the train wouldn't be able to make such a sharp change in direction.

Thanks!

Reply to
David

Most trains will have trouble with a 4 or 5% grade. That is 4 or 5 inches up or down in 100 inches.

If you are really serious, you might investigate a roller coaster. Trains aren't going to be able to do a 90 degree bend.

Reply to
Frank Rosenbaum

I seem to remember something like this about 10 or so years ago. It was a toy train that had vertical trackwork to attach to a wall and the tracks continued onto the floor.

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

BillsRREmpire

I replied: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Feb 5, 6:46 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.models.railroad From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com - Find messages by this author Date: 5 Feb 2006 15:46:56 -0800 Local: Sun, Feb 5 2006 6:46 pm Subject: Re: Vertical tracks Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Remove | Report Abuse

I seem to remember something like this about 10 or so years ago. It was

a toy train that had vertical trackwork to attach to a wall and the tracks continued onto the floor.

I believe what I think I remember might have been something by K'nex:

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

BillsRREmpire

"Frank Rosenbaum" wrote in news:ZavFf.183$ snipped-for-privacy@fe03.lga:

Ah... yes. I was originally thinking about a sort of connected train, like a monorail, but now a roller coaster makes much more sense. Thanks!

Reply to
David

You are welcome.

To get the 'train' to climb you will need a rack or chain that the 'train' can latch onto the way a rollercoaster does to get it up the first hill.

Reply to
Frank Rosenbaum

David repied:

*** Ah... yes. I was originally thinking about a sort of connected train, like a monorail, but now a roller coaster makes much more sense. Thanks!

Something like the K'nex "Rippin' Rocket" perhaps:

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

BillsRREmpire

An elevator.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Folks:

Has everybody forgotten the TYCO Super Turbo Train?

If you have, I deeply apologize for the reminder.

You can probably buy one on E bay for about 99 cents plus shipping.

Cordially yours: Gerard P.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

Take a look here:

Daniel Lang

Reply to
Daniel Lang

Some more images:

Daniel Lang

Reply to
Daniel Lang

Wow!!! That brings a whole new meaning to Magna Traction.

Reply to
Frank Rosenbaum