Voltage from two transformers

Of course, you would be dead. There are a few cases when people change systems and sell the previously one. I've never heard of it but there might be a case or two where a DCC system was sold and the person returned to DC. In these cases return on the DCC systems is good.

Reply to
Jon Miller

Actually, I am about to do that - I have a spare MRC 2000. Hopefully I will get something back on it. I still have Arnold and Digitrax equipment so the MRC is redundant.

Reply to
Greg.P.

Reply to
Jon Miller
2000

Not DC but my DCC is second hand. The guy who had it was going from Digitrax to NCE. We both got a good deal.

Reply to
Ernie Fisch

relays, and DCC cost vs

The amount of wiring for the control system varies considerably on which method of DC or DCC control you use. Commercial DC computer based systems have only 2 wires to each track block, the bulk of the wiring is the same as a DCC computer based system, cables with plugs already installed. The same commercial software DCC uses is also suitable for DC. Not much difference in price between DCC an DC if you buy commercially supplied ready to run hardware. Big saving in price if you build your own manually switched DC system compared to all other electrical options.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

Handbrake

The motor responds to the average voltage it sees in DC, in DCC the motor responds to the average voltage it sees from a decoder. Neither matches the prototype.

I to can control all my locomotives using DC when I chose. No difference is the end result.

What you advocate is the way to wire a DCC layout is only advisable for the smallest and simplest layouts. Large DCC layouts require electrical blocks to make fault finding easier, train location requires detection, electrical blocks with current detectors are a common method to do this. DCC requires electrical blocks for Y's and return loops just like DC.

But the fact is I and others using DC also independently control each locomotive. It's electrically done a different way, that's all. The only time this is not true is when we choose not to. For example double heading or when using automatic control systems.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

The wiring of DC block control is simple. Minimal extra wiring is required compared to DCC if your layout requires signals to give authority for train to proceed. It's clear your experience in wiring signalled layouts is limited.

Just like DC. 2 wires to each block, simple. You forget about the rest of the track wiring, which is the same as DC, and you conveniently forget to mention wiring for signals if required, again the same for DCC and DC. If you have walk around controllers you need wires for the cabs, again extra wiring, for both systems. On my manual switched DC block system, there is only 3 extra wires required compared to a DCC system with walk around controllers. You can decrease the wiring by going to DC progressive block control using a computer, such systems can be the same to wire compared to an equivalent DCC computer operated layout. The difference then becomes wiring DCC decoders into locomotives.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

expense of breakers! :-)

have the same amount of

My DC system does not use a computer, includes operating signals, is simple to maintain, no decoder installation required, no programming and costs less than half the price of your equivalent DCC system. I can buy a commercial DC computer based system for the same price as DCC, and the result is the same layout wiring compared to an equivalent DCC system.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

expense of breakers! :-)

Except with most well designed DC systems, the circuit breaker or overload protection is built in to the block or cab controller, no extra wiring, no extra cost.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

expense of breakers! :-)

We know his difference, but it is unimportant for many layouts. It is only an advantage for layouts which do not use signals to control the movement of trains.

Reply to
Terry Flynn