What modeling skills do you have to "relearn?"

I was thinking the other evening that there are a lot of different skills that we use in model railroading. Some of them are skills that we don't use all of the time... at least if you are like me. For instance, I tend to decal in batches. I like the results, but have never been a "real" fan, so those types of projects get put off until I really need something done. Then, I may do six-seven projects at once. Because of that, I know that I need to "relearn" some of the techniques I've used over the years to get best results.

Just curious as to what other skills you find that you kind of need to brush up on from time to time.

dlm

------------------------------------------- Dan L. Merkel

Reply to
Dan Merkel

Airbrushing! Most of my rolling stock painting these days is done with automotive spray cans (red-oxide, grey, matt black) and I'm not even sure where my airbrush is since my last move.

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

Greg,

That's another one... I haven't painted much recently but that will change soon as I'm in the process of assembling some newer buildings that will need some paint on them.

I've often thought that it would make sense to keep a small notebook of some of these techniques so that you could kind of remind yourself as to what you used & how you used it. For instance, I use both MicroSol and MicroSet, but can't remember which order I use them. I do know that SolvaSet goes on last as it is pretty powerful stuff and can do some serious damage if you aren't quite ready for it.

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

I think the "notebook" reminder is essential. I do this when I'm building from scratch and almost always forget to read when I'm building another model. Sometimes I read my notes when I come across them and marvel at the clever techniques I have used and forgotten ;-)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter