ANN: PICKERING TRACTION ENGINE RALLY

I forward a press release from The Events Office for those interested.

"IT'S FULL STEAM AHEAD FOR PICKERING TRACTION ENGINE RALLY"

PRESS RELEASE PRESS RELEASE PRESS RELEASE PRESS RELEASE PRES

It's full steam ahead for the Pickering Traction Engine Rally on July

31st and August 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Held at the Pickering Showground the show is the largest steam experience ever seen in the North of England.

This four day event plays host to a magnificent display of Showmans Engines, Heavy Haulage Road Locomotives and Agricultural Engines. Exhibiting at the show for the first time is The Iron Maiden. Originally built in 1920 as a road haulage engine Fowler No.15657 Kitchener, as she was formally known, was sent to be rebuilt in 1932 as a showman's road locomotive. An appearance in a film prompted her to be renamed The Iron Maiden and she is to be brought to the show by her new owner Graham Atkinson. Showman's Special Scenic Locomotives displaying at Pickering include King George V, General Gough, Ex Mayor, No 1 and Winston ChurchilL In total 25 Showman's Locomotives and 10 Showman's Tractors will be on display along with numerous steam wagons and rollers, road locomotives and agricultural engines. Any steam enthusiast should not miss this tremendous gathering of machinery.

A new attraction to the event this year, and their first appearance in the North for many years, is Harry Lee's Steam Yachts. This well documented attraction has been completely refurbished after being purchased by the Saunders Steam Collection of Bedford.

Pickering Traction Engine Rally also promises a massive display of vintage vehicles with over 600 classic cars and commercial vehicles,

300 tractors and 200 motorcycles attending the event.

Other attractions include the spectacular Wall of Death, a large display of miniature steam engines, steam driven galloping horses and a tractor pulling arena.

The event is open lOam till 6.OOpm everyday with a special late night spectacular on the Saturday (until 11pm) with a fireworks display and hot air balloons. The show at night is an awesome sight.

Admission prices are £6.00 for adults, £5.00 for over 65's and £3.00 for under 16's. Parking at the event is free. The Pickering Showground is situated on the A169 between Pickering and Malton, North Yorkshire. Further information can be obtained through calling the Information Hotline on (01751) 473780 between 9am and 5pm.

ENDS ENDS ENDS ENDS ENDS ENDS ENDS ENDS ENDS ENDS ENDS ENDS E

Reply to
Dave

I'm glad to hear that - I well remember them at Goose Fair in Nottingham.

Brian L Dominic

NB Rumpus

Web Sites: NB Rumpus:

Friends of the Cromford Canal:
Mid-Derbyshire Light Railway:
I may work for British Waterways, but my opinions are my own.

Reply to
Brian Dominic